Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jury Duty

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In about 2/3 of the states, there’s an easy way to decline jury duty ... get old! The specifics vary by state — in NC the age is 70 — but there is often a form for requesting to be excused.

Sorry, I realize this is no help to OP...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It varies a LOT by jurisdiction - both actual policies and general trends. The only way to get any guidance worth using is to talk to local folks.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

They don’t care about being a sole provider or child care in my district. As a teacher, it is in our contract that we can’t serve during school time. We have to postpone our service to our next break. I always try to pick the week between Christmas and New Years.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    They don’t care about being a sole provider or child care in my district. As a teacher, it is in our contract that we can’t serve during school time. We have to postpone our service to our next break. I always try to pick the week between Christmas and New Years.
    Whoa. What a difference a district makes. The district my mom worked at provided subs for jury service. We're one county over from you.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Whoa. What a difference a district makes. The district my mom worked at provided subs for jury service. We're one county over from you.
    You know my district doesn’t do stuff that makes sense. This jury duty rule is the least of its problems! lol. Technically we are allowed to serve on a jury during school hours, but we would not get to use our sick days so we would not get paid. You basically would only get paid whatever they pay the jury per day. The only exception is if you start jury duty on a break, and it continues into when you have to go back to work, then they will pay you. That happened to a coworker last year. She postponed her jury duty to spring break. She called in every night that week, and of course they called her number on the last day of the week. She got put on a case that day, and it lasted nearly a week. Since she started on break, she did get paid for the time she missed. They even give you a hard time if you have to testify in court. I was hit by a drunk driver, and I was supeanoed by the prosecutor. Obviously I can’t just schedule it for a more convient time, I have to go on their schedule. It was a huge hassle and I had to submit all sorts of paperwork to the district. The case ended up getting settled before going to trial, so I ended up not having to go.

Where I am, the childcare issue is a craps shoot. If the kids are young and you are the primary caretaker at home (do not work) then you are excused. However, once the kids are in school the commissioner might be nice and excuse you or might tell you to figure something out.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I got out if it once for breast feeding and once for being a stay at home mom with children not in school. The lady suggested I get a relative I explained my mom was a nurse and worked because my father was disabled and MIL was in across the country. She huffed but excused me. Next time Im going to show up in my NRA t-shirt and see how that goes.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Our court system offers free childcare so only breastfeeding is an “out” as far as parenting goes in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Most trials are not 4 months. Something to think about when you talk about this. I would keep it simple - I only get paid when I work, I’m the family breadwinner, and I can’t not get paid for any length of time. Also, aren’t you a therapist or psychologist? Add in something like, “my patients deal with varying levels of mental illness. I cannot be unavailable to them for any length of time because they would literally be without menta health care.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2