Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is this ok?

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Is this ok?

So this is the classroom with ALL the peanut-allergic kids? The peanut cookie incident was bad enough when I thought the teacher might have "forgotten" that your DS was allergic, but if she’s got all of them, that’s even worse! She should be even more aware of risks. (That’s not to minimize in any way your DS's experience.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 12-07-2018 at 10:29 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There’ve been viral internet stories of teachers being fired for less. Don’t let this go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. No. No. Absolutely not OK. There is no world in which this is OK.

I read a post once where grown person after grown person recounted something similar and the lifelong negative impact it had on them. I still remember like it was yesterday those types of comments.

There have been teachers in the past that I wasn’t keen on but DD2 was doing OK so I ignored it. I would not ignore this. Nope.

Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Is this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    So this is the classroom with ALL the peanut-allergic kids? The peanut cookie incident was bad enough when I thought the teacher might have "forgotten" that your DS was allergic, but if she’s got all of them, that’s even worse! She should be even more aware of risks. (That’s not to minimize in any way your DS's experience.)
    This was my first thought, too! Please do not let them use their convenience as a reason to not do right by your son. They can move the others or not. Has nothing to do with your son and his issues with this teacher.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Absolutely unacceptable. Even to joke once, not ok, but to call him that in front of other kids?? No way.

I would be seriously planning a major change in setting for the second semester.
    K

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I’m a teacher and that’s not okay. It’s not okay at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Sorry, but it might be time to get a lawyer involved. School districts don't like letters from lawyers. Don't mess around when it comes to your kid. You also could try reporting the teacher to CPS. These are serious offences, and she needs to be investigated.
    Agree with this.

It is warranted in this circumstance. I'm so sorry OP. I think you will regret not acting in this case. A bad teacher can have a significant negative effect in the learning of a child though a caring parent can help negate that by quite a lot.

Best of luck. I'm rooting for you both.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dh isn’t quick to action in things like this but even he’s saying this is worthy of a school district lawsuit. You have a lot of options. Getting your kiddo away from her is immediately needed. I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this.

I have to add my voice to the crowd. With the allergy incident, 504 violation, name-calling, and handwriting issue, it’s time to go above the head of the unhelpful principal, and if it takes a lawyer to help your child, then it takes a lawyer, and you should get one. I don’t know how many children you have and how long you may need to have a relationship with the school, and I usually want to err on the side of working with the school rather than making enemies, but you need to get your child away from this teacher, and if the principal won’t help you, you need to find someone who will.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

To put this into context there was a teacher in our elementary school who did low level preferential treatment to the kids she deemed “good” for years. She taught fifth grade. My understanding (my kids never had her) is her behavior escalated over the last few years so they had documentation of this behavior, which is bullying. She was FIRED. I’m sure there was discussion and corrective action suggested, etc, as there should be. But it got up to the point of her being fired. There was nothing physical, just this low level bullying from the teacher. This is not acceptable.

I think my approach would be to go to the administration with the attitude if you feel that there is a pattern if inappropriate behavior toward your child, you’ve tried to address it, but your message is not getting through. In the end it’s their job to work and discipline their teachers, not yours. It’s unfair to expect you to do it. If the principle isn’t responsive, escalate to superintendent. (Are you in private? Can’t remember. If so the board? You may have to go to lawyer then earlier.)
    Last edited by dogmom; 12-08-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast