anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default At What Point Do You Worry About Dogs?

We just moved to a new neighborhood. One family near us appears to have a few dogs, but we usually don’t notice them barking.

But today, they’ve been going nonstop. One was howling at 6 am, and the other has been barking/howling pretty much all day long, and absolutely solid for the last two hours, while the other chimes in with more howls at intervals. I’m starting to worry about them (I don’t have dogs, but it seems to me it’s not normal for them to bark nonstop for hours at a time? And one is doing that thing where his voice kinda of breaks as he barks, which sounds painful).

Is there a point where it’s ok to intervene? And if so, what would you do? The dogs don’t live in our new neighborhood; rather, they seem to belong to a house in the development ours backs up to. So it’s not like just knocking on a neighbor’s door.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At that point I'd consider calling the local non-emergency number so they can do a welfare check. And then I'd feel reactionary for calling. But after that long...

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    At that point I'd consider calling the local non-emergency number so they can do a welfare check. And then I'd feel reactionary for calling. But after that long...
    I agree. And if the dogs are outdoors, definitely call now! Tomorrow all the emergency services will have better things to do!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've wondered about that too. Here dogs dont bark for long periods of time. Couple of months ago one started barking for HOURS. I finally took my bike out and went around the neighborhood to see what the deal was. Turns out someone was having a party and a guest must have brought a dog and left it outside.

I didnt want to call but I was worried esp since there are a few elderly dog owners around

I will say that in NC my experience is that many more dogs are left out barking for lengthy periods of time.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, depends on a the dog an the situation. I had a Coon Hound who if he chased something up a tree could spend all day barking/baying at it and you could hear it for miles away. There were certainly Sunday afternoons I would just let him bark sometimes because that’s what they are bred to do and it made him so happy. Sort of like throwing a stick in the water for a Lab. I would never let him go on at night or weekdays, and not often and we sit on 4.5 acres. Police never came. If I lived down South and it sounded like a hound I wouldn’t bother being worried. If it happened more than a couple days a week or into the night I would report to police if it bothered me.