Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Leftover ham bone

I cooked a ham for a Christmas party last night and now I have the leftover bone. I know soup is a good thing to make with it but I don't know if my family would eat traditional ham and bean soup, but I'm willing to try. What are your favorite recipes for using up ham bones?
    Last edited by petesgirl; 12-09-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I make vegetable soup with ham and I make slippery pot pie also.
    Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I cooked a ham for a Christmas party last night and now I have the leftover bone. I know soup is a good thing to make with it but I don't think my family would eat traditional ham and bean soup. What are your favorite recipes for using up ham bones?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Split pea soup is delicious too. I like mine with carrots and onions and bits of ham or turkey along with the peas.

Vegetable soup is a good one also. Probably a mashed potato soup would be awesome with a ham stock.
    K

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

my family makes a sort of leftover stew w/ham bones. adding turkey bones is a bonus. Ingredients include carrots, peas, spinach, potatoes, leeks, tomato paste, bits of turkey/ham and chicken. Occasionally they'll throw in mushrooms, yucca and matzo balls.

if nothing else, you can make ham broth and use it to spice up plain rice.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I make vegetable soup with ham and I make slippery pot pie also.
    What’s slippery pot pie?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    What’s slippery pot pie?
    This recipe is close to what I make. I was taught to cook by my great grandmother so much of this type of food I make doesnt have a recipe. I make the flat drop dumplings from left over mashed potatoes ( add some flour & egg then roll it out and cut in strips) we also add carrots onion and celery to ours. Left over ham and mashed potatoes almost guaranteed there would be a pot of slippery pot pie the next day. https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/35664...ia-dutch-style

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    This recipe is close to what I make. I was taught to cook by my great grandmother so much of this type of food I make doesnt have a recipe. I make the flat drop dumplings from left over mashed potatoes ( add some flour & egg then roll it out and cut in strips) we also add carrots onion and celery to ours. Left over ham and mashed potatoes almost guaranteed there would be a pot of slippery pot pie the next day. https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/35664...ia-dutch-style
    That looks delicious! How lucky for you to have your great-grandmother's cooking wisdom passed down to you!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    That looks delicious! How lucky for you to have your great-grandmother's cooking wisdom passed down to you!
    My sister and I have begged my mom for the past few years to make a family cook book. LOL directions like boil off the ham and scrape the bone clean add in some diced up onion carrots and celery with cubed potatoes Make the dough with left over mashed potatoes egg and flour dust the counter before you roll it drop the pieces in when its boiling good. THAT is the kind of recipes she gave me. When you call my mom for recipes they are identified as... Grandma Dolls cinnamon rolls Aunt Opals popcorn ball recipe Cousin Trudy's "good" sugar cookie recipe ( didnt know there was a bad one)

That looks really good. Thanks for sharing the info about it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have added a ham bone to the NY Times "Slow-Baked Beans with Kale" recipe from several years ago and it made it so much better ... but not everybody's into beans.

It would also be lovely with cassoulet. (I like Chop Chop Magazine's simplified cassoulet.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast