AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Silly travel ? Traveling via air with pillows?

I have never thought to travel via air with my own pillow, but my parents have crummy flat pillows and I have a hard time sleeping sometimes. We are only there two nights though so not a huge deal. DD2 and I are flying Southwest this weekend so we each get two bags, but won’t use them all but was wondering if it would be okay to pack our pillows in the checked luggage or will TSA go through them and potentially rip them up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I have never thought to travel via air with my own pillow, but my parents have crummy flat pillows and I have a hard time sleeping sometimes. We are only there two nights though so not a huge deal. DD2 and I are flying Southwest this weekend so we each get two bags, but won’t use them all but was wondering if it would be okay to pack our pillows in the checked luggage or will TSA go through them and potentially rip them up?

Could you order pillows via Amazon to arrive there the day you arrive? Then just keep those pillows there? I feel your pain, my parents are the same way and we've stayed at friends' houses with the same problem. I've had good luck either asking for an extra pillow and stacking them, or folding one pillow in half

eta: I travel super light and would hate to put pillows in suitcases but if you have free checked bags and don't mind, there should be no problem packing pillows in your suitcases. Keep cases on them in case they are opened/searched, so that you can be sure you wash them upon arrival.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 12-10-2018 at 03:37 PM.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd just order them online from Target or Amazon. You can use them on this trip and then on subsequent visits. I'd personally try to avoid the hassle if dragging them through as carryon or checking a larger suitcase than needed for something so easy to obtain at your destination.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We used to carry them on back in the old days but checking would be fine. I think shipping some would be even better though

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My mother travels with her own down pillow most everywhere. She checks it no problem, or crams it into her rolling carry on if not checking. If you visit your parents regularly, I agree with just ordering something to be sent and kept there though.

With my mom, she kept forgetting it the last morning on the bed since she only uses white pillow cases, so I advised her to purchase a colored case just for travel so it would stand out on the bed.
    mom to Billy 12/07

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I get neckaches if I don't have a supportive pillow. A few years ago I decided to buy a travel pillow for hotel stays. I also pack a brightly colored pillow case so I don't forget to take it back with me. This is similar to what I ordered https://www.amazon.com/Trekology-Ult...low+inflatable

Since you are going to your moms house, I would buy pillows that you like and leave them there. I love traveling light and would hate to check in baggage just for a pillow.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Admittedly I travel very light but I’ve taken three flights in the past year and have managed to fit my pillow along with all my stuff in the rolling bag carryon that fits in the overhead bins.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I always travel with my pillow and almost exclusively carry-on only.

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My mom puts her pillow in her checked luggage with no problem.

I travel with my pillow in checked luggage. After I pack my suitcase, I stick it right on top and have never had an issue.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09