trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default For the last time, we aren't going!!!

Every year on Christmas evening, we go to a family friend's cousin's house and every year we say never again. The cousins are extremely sweet, but it's a long drive and goes late. Consistently, we have two cranky kids the next day. DH usually has to work the day next day, so he is exhausted as well. The gathering is geared more towards adults (though there are other kids there), so we spend the majority of our time trying to keep the kids out of trouble, because there are flat out bored. This year I told my mom we aren't going. DD would rather play with her new toys and neighborhood friends and we would rarther have a relaxing low key day. I know she is disappointed and asks me every time I talk to her if we are definitely not going. And then there is her 1 million reasons why we should go. But I am holding strong!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I bailed on attending the large extended family gathering years ago. We were basically trying to do 4 Christmases in a day (our little family, my family, dh's family then this extra one that was an hour away). It was such a relief to give that one up!! Stay strong!

So, a friend of your family's has a cousin, and you're supposed to go there on Christmas DAY? Yikes. Stay strong.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 12-11-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: their/there
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Your mom sounds like my mom.
    Love her to death, but she still can't grasp that I get to make my own decisions about how to spend my time. And she loves having the whole family together so she can't handle it if one of us siblings doesn't come to a family function.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hold the line!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Hold the line!
    Yes this! The first time you make the change is difficult, next time it will be easier. Kinda like kids wanting candy at the supermarket, if you give in to what they want, they'll just whine more next time until you give in again.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    So, a friend of your family's has a cousin, and you're supposed to go their on Christmas DAY? Yikes. Stay strong.
    I know! It's not even my family!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Next year, it'll be much easier.

Definitely stay strong, look at the long game.

You are sooooooo going to enjoy your chill cozy Christmas day at home. Mimosas, jammies, hot chocolate.....