Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    New guidelines were recently released... I haven’t seen them but heard an instructor talking about them so you could look those up.

IMHO, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is the best. HIIT can be done in 30 minutes and you should only do it 3x/week. Fitness Blender is a great, free site for these workouts. Then aim for weights 2x/week and walking 30 minutes 2x/week.

The new guidelines basically say that everyone should get 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity activity or 75 minutes per week of high intensity activity (this part has not changed) BUT the difference in the new guidelines is they do a better job of emphasizing that a little bit is better than none, and that it isn't just the planned exercise part that is important, but also important to generally not be sedentary. If you choose to do vigorous activity make sure to work up to it. The biggest risk of injury/health dangers with exercise is when people jump in and do too much too quickly.

If you are only going to do one kind of activity, make it weight bearing aerobic activity (i.e. walking/jogging, not swimming/cycling). Though of course it's better to incorporate aerobic, resistance, and flexibility exercises.

Edit: For context, I am an exercise physiologist who admittedly doesn't always meet these guidelines myself.
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 12-11-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I second the recommendation for workouts from fitnessblender.com They have hundreds of workout videos, all completely free. You can sort by type of workout, duration of workout, difficulty level, equipment, etc etc etc. They have a bunch of body weight only workouts too, where you are doing strength building exercises without needing dumbbells/kettlebells/etc. I’ve used the site on and off for a few years but 6 weeks ago I decided to get serious about it and have been working out 6 days/week with their workouts. It’s tough but fun to see things become easier and be able to lift heavier weights
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP - I also have long hair that is super annoying to wash and blow dry often. I work out 5-6 days a week (running, yoga, pilates) and only wash my hair twice a week. In between I spray some dry shampoo in my hair and twist it up into a bun for the shower and just shower off my body after workouts. It works really well and sometimes my hair even looks better after one workout and a dose of dry shampoo than it did freshly washed. Dry shampoo can save me even after a very sweaty power yoga class.

You don't actually have to lift weights to get your weight bearing exercises in - you can do body-weight bearing exercise or use resistance bands/medicine ball or similar if you prefer that to more traditional free weights or machines.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    The new guidelines basically say that everyone should get 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity activity or 75 minutes per week of high intensity activity (this part has not changed) BUT the difference in the new guidelines is they do a better job of emphasizing that a little bit is better than none, and that it isn't just the planned exercise part that is important, but also important to generally not be sedentary. If you choose to do vigorous activity make sure to work up to it. The biggest risk of injury/health dangers with exercise is when people jump in and do too much too quickly.

If you are only going to do one kind of activity, make it weight bearing aerobic activity (i.e. walking/jogging, not swimming/cycling). Though of course it's better to incorporate aerobic, resistance, and flexibility exercises.

Edit: For context, I am an exercise physiologist who admittedly doesn't always meet these guidelines myself.
    Thank you. This is just what I’m looking for. I will aim for that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    OP - I also have long hair that is super annoying to wash and blow dry often. I work out 5-6 days a week (running, yoga, pilates) and only wash my hair twice a week. In between I spray some dry shampoo in my hair and twist it up into a bun for the shower and just shower off my body after workouts. It works really well and sometimes my hair even looks better after one workout and a dose of dry shampoo than it did freshly washed. Dry shampoo can save me even after a very sweaty power yoga class.

You don't actually have to lift weights to get your weight bearing exercises in - you can do body-weight bearing exercise or use resistance bands/medicine ball or similar if you prefer that to more traditional free weights or machines.
    I should try that. I have used it before and my hair is blonde and tolerates a good dose of dry shampoo, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    I second the recommendation for workouts from fitnessblender.com They have hundreds of workout videos, all completely free. You can sort by type of workout, duration of workout, difficulty level, equipment, etc etc etc. They have a bunch of body weight only workouts too, where you are doing strength building exercises without needing dumbbells/kettlebells/etc. I’ve used the site on and off for a few years but 6 weeks ago I decided to get serious about it and have been working out 6 days/week with their workouts. It’s tough but fun to see things become easier and be able to lift heavier weights
    I have that site bookmarked. My problem is I have to work out almost silently in the morning in my tiny house so I don’t have little kids joining me. Maybe I need some wireless ear buds for Christmas. I’ve been doing Pinterest workouts but not all of them are created equal! Most are too short and not strenuous enough.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I have that site bookmarked. My problem is I have to work out almost silently in the morning in my tiny house so I don’t have little kids joining me. Maybe I need some wireless ear buds for Christmas. I’ve been doing Pinterest workouts but not all of them are created equal! Most are too short and not strenuous enough.
    That’s why I like my Nike app. I use my Bluetooth headphones. I don’t have to think. It just tells me what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bisous

I need to do weights. My family is predisposed to osteoporosis and I know that weights are imperative to healthy bones. I confess I kind of though weight bearing exercises like the kind in a HIIT workout would be enough.

What do you think?
    Quality minerals preferably from food would likely have greater impact (mag, boron) or even cell salts but weight bearing exercise will definitely be a help.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    In the description of each workout, they generally list out the exercises, how many repetitions for each one, how much weight they are using, etc. for those who aren't able to watch the videos, maybe that would help? Silent is tough. I hope you are able to find a good option!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Gaaaaa FOLLOWING!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2