Default Kindle Fire 8 vs. 7

The kids have Kindle Fire 7s (8GB) that we bought about 1 1/2 years ago. They use them often, especially for Minecraft. We have the SD cards installed for additional storage but they still constantly get warnings about low storage and have had so many issues with loading apps. Curious if anyone has the Fire 8 and thinks it will work better/be enough? Dual iPads are not in the budget, and I can get a 16 GB Fire 8 for $60 on Amazon today.
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

doberbrat is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had similar issues w/the 7vs 8. having the bigger ram is clearly better. The other thing is I had the devices split into kid accts. dd1, dd2 & I all had profiles on each kindle. I ended up having to wipe the 7s and starting over with 1 kid acct per device.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I had similar issues w/the 7vs 8. having the bigger ram is clearly better. The other thing is I had the devices split into kid accts. dd1, dd2 & I all had profiles on each kindle. I ended up having to wipe the 7s and starting over with 1 kid acct per device.
    I'm curious - how did you do this exactly? I think I have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Hmmm, we also have several profiles on each device! Interesting. Maybe I will try wiping the 7s and seeing what kind of result we get. Also curious how you do this...

doberbrat is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

start by making sure you warn the kids their games will likely reset.... try to remember any passwords you have on the device. Note any to be read books by putting them in a folder.

go to settings and click on factory restore. Start over with the brand new kindle. do not let it restore from backup - it will go back to the multiple child profiles. If you do go with the multiple profiles again, it will still be much better than it was but you'll probably have to do the same thing 10-12 months later

what I've now done is dedicate a kindle to each child. They're still mine so I control. I also still keep the child profiles so they cant see my adult books on their home screen!!!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Had to do the same with our Kindles for the exact same reason. It’s better now but the kids still have issues with Minecraft and storage space. We got them a Switch for Christmas so they’ll be able to play Minecraft on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys