ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Why do I care what my dad thinks?

My dad is an asshole when he drinks. He has me in tears, and I know better. Today, I bought tickets to take the boys to Miami and we got a Peloton. I suppose that's a lot, but the Peloton is less than the gym membership that went unused (closest is 20 mins away) and the Miami tickets were $60 each r/t and we'll stay in a hotel with points from (from credit cards that we've never paid a cent of interest on). So really - not fiscally irresponsible. Either way that's not even any of his business - I'm 43 years old and have been financially independent for decades.

Also, not that I should need to justify ANYTHING - but DH has had two heart attacks. Fitness is pretty important and he has NOT been doing any. At all. At his last checkup his blood pressure was up - not a good thing.

Anyway, my dad called and I shared that I was optimistic about the Peloton. He told me that I have a problem spending money and should get help. He was dead serious. I have zero credit card debt, no car loans, excellent credit, a healthy savings account, and we owe less than $100K on our house. I have student loans, but there's no sense in paying those early because I'm on the 10 year forgiveness plan. Our incomes are moderate (teacher and non-profit attorney), but we live well within our means, have stable jobs and have excellent health insurance.

Meanwhile my brother drives a trash truck and my dad thought he was the golden child when he bought a boat. I buy fitness equipment and I need an intervention.

I am so sorry. Not that you need anyone to tell you, but what you bought was totally fine given your financial situation. There was nothing irresponsible about it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hope you enjoy the workout machine and the trip (how did you find tickets so cheap?!?) and have a great Christmas! I'm sorry he wanted to ruin your day. That totally stinks. Don't let the turkeys get you down. ((((hugs))))
    K

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Why do I care what my dad thinks?

Talk to you later dad. Click.
    Sorry your dad is like this.
    Don’t listen to him. And don’t tell him things. It’s the only way I deal with my mom, I don’t tell her much and then it’s after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Going to second the sentiment to not share things with him. My mom is the same way, she poops all over everything so much it ruins things. So I don't share with her anymore. It was hard for a while because it was my first impulse, but it comes of too high a cost.

Have fun, enjoy your fabulous purchases!