twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Christmas dinner - what meat to cook?

Who has a special but easy meat for Christmas dinner? I think my kids want to do something different from turkey. They like steak so I could always do that (and it's easy) but I would love to do something a little more special. What do you do?

Are the small birds like quail or cornish hens good? Beef Wellington (though that sounds like a ton of work)? We will have a ham that's store-bought.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My sister has done a pork tenderloin the last few years, that had been really good.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If your kids like beef, why don't you do a beef tenderloin or prime rib, depending on how many people you are having? I do prime rib with a horseradish sauce on the side for Christmas Eve, and serve it with a nicer salad, garlic mashed potatoes or a potato gratin, string beans with shallots, and sometimes burgundy mushrooms (a recipe I got from a BBBer, actually).
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

My family loves the pre-seasoned standing rib roast from Costco. It's so flavorful and delicious. I don't follow the cooking instructions on the package, but instead follow the Serious Eats instructions for the reverse sear method. I wanted to try a porchetta for Christmas dinner this year, but got a resounding NO from family members.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My mom does an excellent filet with onions sautéed in a chili sauce on top. It is my favorite special meal. She cooks the filet first and the sauce separately in a saute pan. Then for the last bit of cooking, she adds the sauce to the meat. We cook it to rare/medium rare.

We do duck with a cherry rosemary sauce. It’s always a hit with whoever is here
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2120605

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**