niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default DH and I are such idiots

We wanted to hang string lights from the garage and decided against mounting 2x4 boards to cinderblock wall opposite. We’ve got 2 trees planted that one day will be tall enough for mounting lights. So we went Pinterest route and made planter pots with cement and 2x4 post in middle. It took good part of the day, but we did it!!! It looked fabulous!!! Pinterest success!!

Now for the idiot part. We then decided to reposition one of the planters, forgetting there wasn’t all that much slack in the string lights, toppling the other planter and smashing 4 lights!

2 hours with the shop vac later, an order for replacement bulbs, and we’ve scheduled a handyman to come bolt the boards to the wall.

Now we have 2 planters filled with cement.... useless paperweights!!

We should just pay people from here on out

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 12-30-2018 at 11:42 PM.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ouch! Glad no one was hurt
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Just our pride! We were so proud we had actually gotten it to work. For all of 10 minutes!! 🤣

Only 4 lights broke, so the mess could’ve been much worse. Bolting the 2x4 to the wall will be much better option.

The handyman bolted the boards to the cinderblock wall - took him about 45 minutes. It would’ve taken us much longer to figure it out. We’re glad we did this as now I won’t worry if we get strong winds. The lights look great and finish off the area.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for the laugh. I can totally picture doing this with my own DH! At least now you get to enjoy the lights.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oh no, that stinks! We want to do something similar for our back patio and I could imagine us doing the same thing and accidentally ruining our creation. I hope that there's a way to figure out how to use it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Default DH and I are such idiots

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Oh no, that stinks! We want to do something similar for our back patio and I could imagine us doing the same thing and accidentally ruining our creation. I hope that there's a way to figure out how to use it.
    I cut the boards just above the cement level in the planter and the handyman bolted them to the wall to use as anchor points. Way more secure! We then continued with our plan and put soil and plants in the planter pots. They’re bloody heavy so we won’t be moving them anytime soon.

The lights do look great. We think we would’ve been more successful with a pot that was wider and if we didn’t need to string them so high.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm glad that you made it work. If you've got a pic, I've love to see it. Our patio is in desperate need of some TLC.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs