Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am no help with hotels, but for this one trip could you do a train trip from Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Great luck with family suites at Marriotts in NYC. We even stayed at huge Marriott right in Times Square when we had several shows and both parts of Harry Potter to go to and the family two bedroom suite was HUGE and perfect location. No noise up in the high rise. Booked online and they had some special that even made it relatively affordable (we have a pretty healthy hotel budget and stay nice places).

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I am no help with hotels, but for this one trip could you do a train trip from Michigan?

It sort of looks possible, but not easy or fun. We'd have to drive 2 hours to Toledo OH and get on at midnight or 3:15am. The midnight one has a 2.5 hour layover starting at 5am. We'd arrive at 5pm or so. It's a long time to spend in a seat, I think.

Or we could start in Niagara NY, which is typically about 4 hours from us, but varies based on border times. Then it's an 8 hour train ride, all during the day time, too. We'd have to spend a night in Niagara. That might not be bad, if it really is easier on the train. I have no idea if we can leave our car in Niagara at the station.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Great luck with family suites at Marriotts in NYC. We even stayed at huge Marriott right in Times Square when we had several shows and both parts of Harry Potter to go to and the family two bedroom suite was HUGE and perfect location. No noise up in the high rise. Booked online and they had some special that even made it relatively affordable (we have a pretty healthy hotel budget and stay nice places).

I think I found that one and it does look nice. I don't mind spending some on a room, but it's $1000/night now and we need to be less than that. But, it does make me wonder if we can book 2 rooms for a reasonable total.
    Kris

I'm also working on a trip to Acadia this summer. It's odd - both places have the same hotel rates.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Air BnB and VRBO are illegal in NYC! Do not book anything other than a hotel! The trip advisor forum is helpful if you have dates and a budget. The TRYP by Wyndham has family rooms.

If you want to do Statue of Liberty get tickets now. It sells out months in advance.
    I had no idea! That's wild. I wonder why?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    I had no idea! That's wild. I wonder why?
    Housing market is too tight to allow folks to rent to tourists vs residents. Airbnb fuels affordable housing shortages. It’s illegal in high demand places and anytime you use it, you should verify the legal status even right up to the start of your trip. We always book a hotel that can be canceled just in case too!

Kris- note that some hotels charge “resort” fees on top of the rate. Make sure you uncover all those extras when comparing deals.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Kris- note that some hotels charge “resort” fees on top of the rate. Make sure you uncover all those extras when comparing deals.

I've noticed that. Thanks for the warning!

Saturday and Sunday nights are much cheaper than the week nights, especially Tuesday and Wednesday. I had thought we'd leave here on Saturday, drive most of the way and get a hotel. Then drive the last bit on Sunday. I don't want to arrive late at night and navigate then and also pay the high price to literally just sleep. But now I think we'll leave Friday after school and drive to NY state and stay in Buffalo maybe. Still 8 or so hours from there, but if we leave early, we can get in mid-afternoon and have some time to settle in and see some things. We can stay 4 nights and check out Wednesday morning. Hopefully 3 full days will get us a good vacation.
    Kris

That’s usually what we do too. We only have trouble sometimes with things being closed on weekends (in the Wall Street area- plan carefully for food if you’ll be doing the SOL, Battery Park or Wall St stuff on a Saturday or Sunday as so many places are closed). Some tourist stuff is closed on Mondays but Easter week is usually an exception, ime.
    Top of the Rock is mine and ds2’s must do rec. find out when sunset will be and book tickets an hour before that. Takes at least 30 minutes to get through security, the obligatory photo op, etc so when you get up to the top you get some day time then sunset and nighttime. Fabulous! I would rather a view of the Empire State Building vs from the ESB. We’ve never paid for the vip tickets but I’m sure they’d be great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast