Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Check out the Shelburn hotel on the east side and definitely Spot Hero. NYC can be a fun and affordable vacation if you are willing to be creative, hunt for deals, and walk a lot . Spring break is the perfect time to go!
    Green Tea, mom to three

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We like a Residence Inn a little north and east of Grand Central. Can’t remember the exact name. It was me and 2 kids though. I don’t know what they have to accommodate 5.

I would also consider staying at one of the many hotels near Exchance Place in Jersey City. Maybe the Hyatt House. Google Maps says it’s 8 mins to One World Trade Center, 28 mins to Times Square. And it’s right by the NJ departure point for the Statue of Liberty. There’s also some nice stuff to do right there. Liberty State Park and Liberty Science Center.

Hyatt House Jersey City
    1 Exchange Pl, Jersey City, NJ 07302
    (201) 395-0500
    https://goo.gl/maps/VK4gD3LHkmw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Our spring break is the first week in April, so a couple weeks before Easter this year. I guess I need to figure out what we'd want to do and see when things are open. Top of the Rock and Statue of Liberty is all I have so far. DS's marching band is going the following week...I should look at their itinerary. DS is not going on the trip.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    Check out the Shelburn hotel on the east side and definitely Spot Hero. NYC can be a fun and affordable vacation if you are willing to be creative, hunt for deals, and walk a lot . Spring break is the perfect time to go!
    If I found the right hotel, that looks really great. A nice sized room for a little more than others I'm finding, but having some space is a good thing. We don't mind a tight fit for sleeping, but having a couple doors makes getting ready in the mornings so much easier now that the kids are tweens and teens. I now bring a pop-up changing room to most hotels so someone can change while someone else is in the bathroom!

This place? https://www.affinia.com/shelburne?_g...268.1546655601
    Kris

Yes! We are a family of five and stayed there a few years ago for spring break. It’s not super fancy but lots of space and a kitchenette area. It’s really good for families and in a lovely, safe neighborhood.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    Yes! We are a family of five and stayed there a few years ago for spring break. It’s not super fancy but lots of space and a kitchenette area. It’s really good for families and in a lovely, safe neighborhood.
    Awesome! A kitchenette is fantastic.
    Kris

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    I had no idea! That's wild. I wonder why?
    The building code does not allow it. No rentals less than 30 days in a dwelling with more than 3 units. There are basically no such buildings in NYC. It has been a years long battle between AirBnB and the city. I’m sure it all comes down to money. The city takes it very seriously though and they are shut down all the time. AirBnB does not monitor listings so people try to do it illegally but someone reports them and people show up to listing that no longer exists. People lie in their listings and say it is legal and people believe them because it has good reviews. But I hear about just as many people losing money and ending up with nowhere to stay. I lived in NYC and when people are in your building that do not belong there you know and it gets reported.

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When we went to NYC, we stayed at an airbnb in Jersey City. It was a bit of a hassle, but not too bad. You have to factor in transit x 5 though.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I'm also working on a trip to Acadia this summer. It's odd - both places have the same hotel rates.
    We spent a week in Acadia this summer and loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    When we went to NYC, we stayed at an airbnb in Jersey City. It was a bit of a hassle, but not too bad. You have to factor in transit x 5 though.

We spent a week in Acadia this summer and loved it!
    Great! We will probably do just 3-4 nights in Acadia. We have about a week total to squeeze in a summer trip and we missed visiting cousins in NH last year, so need to do that! I think we will camp in Acadia.
    Kris

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Great! We will probably do just 3-4 nights in Acadia. We have about a week total to squeeze in a summer trip and we missed visiting cousins in NH last year, so need to do that! I think we will camp in Acadia.
    Our favorite campground ever is just outside Acadia - Mount Desert Campground. Reservations open Jan. 10. Waterfront spots are amazing, but the entire campground is magical. If it wasn't such a long haul from MI we'd stay there every year. Also, we did Beehive with the kids. Totally doable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast