Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    i've had my clothes folded vertically for about a year. it totally works and stays that way. and i'm naturally a disorganized mess.
    This is hopeful to know, because I am just starting and wasn't optimistic that it would sick because my clothes are usually a disaster.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

I have a few friends who said they feel just like the mom in the first episode

I have actually now been rereading her books, I read them a few years ago but now after watching the Netflix series I am motivated once again. A few years ago I started her process but stopped after clothes, then did some of my books and paper, but never continued. This time I am all in!!! I did clothes, am just finishing up books, then plan on starting papers this weekend. My papers are already very well organized so that shouldn't take too long, I just want to reduce the bulk so I can add in my mom's files, as I am now handling all of her affairs. The biggest thing now as that I am letting a lot of my professional books and notebooks from grad school go. The information is outdated and all of the latest research is online so that is a TON more space freed up!

Komono will take me forever as there is a lot of it, but I am going to stick with it! I feel so much better and I have already made four large donations to the Breast Cancer Pickups. You can schedule online and they pick up from your front porch. Super easy and freeing!

And I LOVE the vertical folding! I am doing it with everything except underwear and wow, what difference. I can see everything I have at a glance, and am wearing shirts that "spark joy" but forgot that I had because they were hidden due to too much stuff.

I even had my 9 y/o go through stuff by making 5 large piles on her floor. She tends to hang on to everything. I simply asked, "what would you like to keep?", rather than "what are you going to get rid of?" and just changing the verbage was amazing. In 10 minutes she made 2 piles, half was keep, half was donate. I almost **** my pants. Then I started folding some of her stuff vertically and she asked to try it. The kicker was when she took it to see if it would stand up and got excited when it did. While my family made fun of me for watching, some of my family members were clearly paying attention!!
    Last edited by jerseygirl07067; 01-18-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Marie Kondo on Netflix

I watched a few episodes and even got DH to watch one. He commented, “We already do all of that” for several strategies she had. He then said, “This show isn’t for librarians”, which I used to be. He did though take in point about cleaning out things that don’t have value, so the things you cherish are maintained and displayed. He tends to keep lots of things then want to buy more book shelves. Over the years, I’ve had him go though things, but it was a battle, so hoping he’s more on board. A friend and he were talking about the show and the friend said he’s less stressed with there is less stuff about. We need to do our books and photographs. I’m going to get the paperwork finished this weekend, so the office is better organized for the books and photos. Then tackle those with DH. I also need to go though my closet this weekend. Our main issue is putting things away, everything has a home, we just leave it out for several days before returning it to it’s home. I know I need to start a 10 min clean up each night.

I did like how she told the couples they can’t tell the other what to get rid off - I can be like that and it’s not respectful of DH/DS feelings. So while I haven’t learned any new strategies, I do think I need to use her approach more to get DH and DS on board. DS is definitely more resistant as he doesn’t want to do things. He’s happy to live in a mess. I did tell him it’s not fair on the rest of us, so he doesn’t have a choice about cleaning up, but he does get to choose what he keeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-19-2019 at 07:20 PM.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH's turn today! He said I couldn't dump out his drawers so this is everything that was hanging in the closet. He's got like 40 pairs of pants but only wears about 3. He also has a ton of suit jackets with his name labeled inside-- which means they are from when he was in boarding school and his mom labeled all his clothes!!! He graduated 18 years ago!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Wow... what’s the after photo like?

I’ve got all my paperwork filed
    and a box to be shredded. Normally I get 2018 papers dealt with in April, but they’re all done and ready to do taxes once get all our W2s etc. Going to try to get taxes submitted to accountant early this year!

Now I’m moving on to electronics - office has stack of computer cords etc that need to be dealt with.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Wow... what’s the after photo like?
    DH ended up with 3 full trash bags to donate and another small bag of trash.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are loving this series! I loved the book and implemented some of the practices. I'm glad to see an extended glimpse into how she is handling this because in the book she makes it sound like you take a week to clean everything out and it was nice to see at the bottom "Day 42" or some such note. That's 100% how it would be here. We're not too bad at holding onto things but with our large family in a small place our clutter encroaches on our lives more than most families.

I had a similar reaction to that first episode. DH and I now call each other "Babe" because we think it is so funny, lol. But we both thought the wife was uber obnoxious and the husband was kind of normal. Now I feel like watching it again and seeing if I can see it from the other perspective. I loved "meeting" Marie Kondo through the episodes. She's the most darling person ever. I loved the way she greeted the home. I want to do that!

I have to say, several of the "after" reveals still looked super cluttered to me. At the same time, I saw progress and it didn't seem to shove buying products down to make the reveal more dramatic so I did like that a lot.

My closet, just hanging clothes so far Image1548103249.031343.jpg. I’m going to have to deal with it to go to sleep!!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post

I have to say, several of the "after" reveals still looked super cluttered to me. At the same time, I saw progress and it didn't seem to shove buying products down to make the reveal more dramatic so I did like that a lot.
    I thought the same. It’s not about minimalism, but being mindful about what you keep. For some that’s more than for others.

I know I’m keeping some clothes that don’t spark joy, but are practical for my life. I’ll though see about replacing with something nicer eg my pjs are all old worn yoga pants, I could update overtime to something nicer

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Ok, so I watched a few episodes and I just couldn't get into it. I guess I just don't get it. I don't like to keep stuff, DH and I are very opposite there. I know I need to go through my closet, but honestly, none of my clothes spark any joy, I am just not a clothes person. I do need to tackle DD'S room, she has so much stuff. Right now I just keep the door shut so I don't have to see it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3