Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    YES! I used to eat a lot of fish, but I'm now just so unsure what type of fish is good (both for human consumption and environment) that I have pretty much avoided buying it at the stores. I do want to get my kids to eat more fish, though.
    This is exactly why I stopped feeding my kids fish. I was feeding tilapia but was out with friends and they were saying tilapia is a dirty fish and should be avoided. I’m working on adding it back in now.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I am totally following this thread. I'm trying to increase my fish intake as well.

The only fish I eat are salmon, smoked salmon and tuna fish! And with the salmon I just wrap it up in foil spray it with olive oil and put a bunch of fresh garlic on it. I need some more interesting recipes!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

We end up eating a lot of tilapia because I buy it frozen, and it’s my go-to emergency meal when I can’t get to the supermarket. I can defrost it soaking in cold water while the oven heats to 425, and it isn’t mushy defrosted, which thicker filets can sometimes be. I spread a very thin layer of mayonnaise, sprinkle with spices (we like Mrs. Dash garlic and herb) and then sometimes with Parmesan (or just use mayo and parmesan, whatever you like.) It cooks in under ten minutes. You can cook any white fish this way with any kind of spices you like with either a little bit of olive oil or a tiny spread of mayo. You also can do foil or parchment packets. Put the fish in with whatever veggies you like. I often do peppers, onions, snow peas, asparagus. I put in a little butter, white wine, lemon, a sprinkle of salt— it’s delicious. You kind of can’t go wrong with a white fish like tilapia, haddock, scrod, cod, plaice, pollock, etc. because you can just use any spices or flavors you like. A thicker filet just requires a bit more cooking time. I do avoid buying any fish from China (a lot of frozen fish is packaged there.) I’ll pay more to get a higher quality frozen fish. It’s better to buy fresh, of course, but frozen fish is our family’s equivalent of a frozen dinner or pizza. It’s quick and always on hand just in case.

Salmon’s great poached in white wine, a little butter, lemon, and a bit of dill. It’s also great with teriyaki sauce. I do a sauce that’s teriyaki, honey, Mirin, ginger. I think it’s from skinnytaste. Salmon is a fish that’s really good for you, but only if it’s wild caught. The farmed doesn’t have all the same health benefits, but we eat it occasionally anyway. I find frozen salmon is mushy defrosted, so I buy that fresh when I’m at a store I know has good fresh fish. It’s usually a special treat for us, maybe monthly or a little less often than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’ve been getting wild caught flounder, salmon and tuna at Aldi. I usually broil it.
    DS 2/09

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We love salmon here, and cod or haddock. My kids would eat salmon every day if I bought it.

I have stopped buying Tilapia, read too many scary things about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2