Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Which types of fish are best? Share recipes please

I want to incorporate more fish in our diet. Which types of fish are best? We like mild fish. Please share any easy to prepare recipes you have. Thank you!

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We buy flash frozen packages of fish sold sold at BJs. The packages look like they were packaged with a food saver vacuum. I've bought Cod, haddock Salmon. I found a recipe online to cook frozen fish and it's been great. Simple and comes out well. Thicker pieces will require, more time than the recipe calls for, just make sure the fish is evenly baked and flaky all the way through. The kids just like the oil, salt, pepper seasoning surprisingly. I made the recipe using cracker crumbs and butter, but they didn't like it as much.

https://cookthestory.com/how-to-cook-fish-from-frozen/
    Last edited by liz; 01-07-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: grammar

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I grew up eating fish regularly. As a child I mostly ate white fish. My dad would buy cod, scrod, and haddock mostly. Sometimes we had swordfish which is my FAVORITE. My mom only made it 1 way - a little melted butter or olive oil on top, and lightly sprinkled with Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs. Then into the over on Broil for 10 minutes or so. Thinner fish cooks quicker, obviously. Swordfish if its really thick can take longer.

Now as an adult I also eat Salmon (broiled again but with Jamacian Jerk spices on top OR lightly salted and peppered and pan fried). I also love lobster, scallops, shrimp and clams.

My kids love salmon, but not haddock for some reason. I think they dont like how white fish flakes apart so easily. They both like fried fish that you would get at a good oceanside seafood place - like friend clams, scallops, shrimp.

We never ate frozen fish growing up. We lived in Boston so there was no need. My mom would never buy it, and I can see why because when you cook it it seems to make the top of the fish mushy, like all the excess water comes out. BUT as an adult i have bought some frozen fish at Costco and its been fine. I like tilapia and mahi mahi.
    Last edited by khalloc; 01-07-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We eat a lot of fish.

My kids like salmon multiple ways. Their favorite is with miso, but that may be a little much for the first time unless they already like that flavor.

I like haddock or cod with a smear of mayo and a few crumbled ritz crackers on top. If I run out of ritz I mix Panko with a bit of melted butter and lemon zest. They prefer it without the crumbs so I just make it with salt, pepper, and a little pat of butter. 375 or 400 until it’s done.

For really thin fish like flounder, I dredge it in a bit of seasoned flour and then sautée in olive oil. Then squeeze lemon on top at the end. If you don’t care about calories and want to be fancy you can make a lemon/butter/caper sauce in the pan afterward. I usually don’t have the energy.

Swordfish I usually grill.

I don’t eat tilapia. Mahi mahi is suooosed to be good for fish tacos but my kids don’t like tacos so I rarely make it.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We eat a lot of fish - salmon (usually grilled or in the oven with an soy ginger marinade or with lemon and olive oil and herbs), mahi mahi (we use this for fish tacos - I usually bake or grill in parchment with lots of lime juice and a little olive oil), sea bass, black cod, tuna (seared in the pan or just as sashimi), halibut (usually baked in parchment with some veggies and herbs) and red snapper (usually grilled whole). My kids love it all. They also really love calamari (grilled with lemon or sauteed with olive oil, salt and pepper), clams (steamed in olive oil, garlic, white wine with cilantro and salt - they lick up the sauce with baguette or we put them over linguini) and scallops (seared in a super hot pan so they get a nice crust). All of these are very mild, not fishy. We aren't big on breading things now, but when the kids were younger I could bread pretty much any type of fish and they'd gobble it up with some sort of yummy dipping sauce (an lemon or garlic aioli, a spicy mayo, BBQ, a cocktail sauce with ketchup and horseradish), so that might be a good gateway to use . . .

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I try to stick with the lowest mercury and most environmentally friendly varieties but it gets confusing sometimes.

These guides are good: https://www.seafoodwatch.org/ https://www.nrdc.org/stories/smart-seafood-buying-guide

Wild caught cod, haddock, snapper, flounder, mahi-mahi. My kids adore crab legs but gets pricey

I do not eat farmed fish - kills any point of eating it.

Kids love it fried, grilled/broiled - sandwhich style you name it

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

This salmon recipe is super easy and really good. I buy fresh fish only.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/51283/maple-salmon/
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Another family that eat fair amount of fish weekly here.

We all love salmon; usually marinate it with Teriyaki mix, olive oil with lots of pepper & little salt, and wasabi with ginger dressing. Cod, haddock, grouper and haddock are our other favorites to eat. We just had mahi mahi tacos for tonight’s dinner.

We also enjoy crabs, clams and mussels, but DS2 is allergic to shellfish and doesn’t care for mussels. So we don’t make/eat those often, only if we’re out and ordering cuz everyone can have what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    I try to stick with the lowest mercury and most environmentally friendly varieties but it gets confusing sometimes.

These guides are good: https://www.seafoodwatch.org/ https://www.nrdc.org/stories/smart-seafood-buying-guide
    YES! I used to eat a lot of fish, but I'm now just so unsure what type of fish is good (both for human consumption and environment) that I have pretty much avoided buying it at the stores. I do want to get my kids to eat more fish, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast