lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default chicago in the summer with kids?

We're looking for a domestic trip this year and flights to Chicago are pretty cheap. Is there a lot to do for a family of 5 (kids 15,12,8)? Recommendations for area to stay (or hotels) and activities?

How many days will we need? I feel like we won't be able to fill a full week.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We just got back and I think we could have filled a week! If you can't totally fill the week in town, there are day trips you could take like St. Joseph, MI (you could make it an overnight).

Our city touring strategy is busy all day and just chill in the evening (sometimes just ordering in food vs going out for dinner) so we have less time we need to fill.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites on E Grand. It was ok. It was a 3 star hotel. Pros- plenty of space (bedroom with 2 queen beds and a real door to the living room that had a pull out sofa). I wanted a suite and I struggled to find a set up that wasn't 1 king bed plus sofa bed. Pros- It was nice to have the full kitchen (we reheated leftovers one night). Pretty well sound insulated. Super convenient location with the red line half a block away and plenty of restaurants and shops in walking distance. We did Shake Shack twice and Eataly twice. Cons- the finishes could have been nicer. Sometimes there was a long wait for an elevator. Lots of kids (we are getting to the point where our kids are older and lots of little kids around isn't awesome, just noisy .

We spent most of a day at the Museum of Science and Industry. We did part of a day at the Field Museum (natural history museums aren't of major interest to my kids). We didn't do Alder Planetarium or Shedd because, again, my kids aren't into them. We didn't have time to hit the Art Institute. All of those museums certainly would have rounded out itineraries though!

We did have fun playing at Maggie Daley playground, taking pictures at "The Bean" (Cloud Gate). We went to 360 Chicago twice on the sun and stars ticket- that was fun! We saw Hamilton (run is ending soon) but there are plenty of other good shows around (like 2nd City plus broadway shows).

In the summer you can do things like a river cruise, see a baseball game, play at the lake...

If we had more time, I would have explored nearby neighborhoods.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Depending on what part of the country you're coming from, I'd definitely take a day trip to Indiana Dunes National Park to see the sand dunes and swim in Lake Michigan. You can get there on the metro, no need for a car. You'll obviously see Lake MI from the city as well, but the dunes are really something special. We live about 3 hours away and have never spent a week there, but do day trips and short trips

Outside of the museums (which are great - and don't forget the smaller art museums):
    • Take a water taxi to Chinatown
    • Check out the Atlas Obscura events, they do a lot of neat things in Chicago
    • Have a Chicago style hot dog
    • See a Second City show
    • Oz Park
    • Kayak the Chicago River
    • Architecture boat tour
    • Wndr
    • McCormick Bridgehouse Museum
    • Street markets
    • Wicker Park Secret Agent Supply Co.
    • American Science and Surplus
    • Garfield Park Conservatory
    • Robie House (Frank Lloyd Wright)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lots to do for sure, baseball game at Wrigley, all the museums, beach ijnrhe city, architecture boat tour (do this at the beginning as you get a better sense of rhe city history), kayaks on the river, maybe a two day side trip up rhe sand dunes or along Lake Michigan by Saugatuck. So many other cool things depending oj your interests.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk