kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Flying into Chicago

DH is going to be running the Chicago Marathon this fall. It will be our first time to Chicago and I am looking at flights. We have direct flight options into both O'Hare and Midway. Would one be better than the other? I have flown through O'Hare and know it is busy but I didn't know if there was a convenience difference between the 2 or anything else I should know. Thanks!!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We just got back from Chicago. We have flights to Midway on Southwest so I've only ever done Midway. It's an easy airport to deal with. Security was fast and easy. I took the El into town and Lyft back to the airport. Time was actually very comparable. I would probably just pick whichever had the best price and flight times though.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just flew into midway, landed at 2:15, was through customs and baggage claim, walked to my car parked just off of airport property by the transportation center, was in my car in 20 min!!!! Midway is much easier!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agree! Definitely go Midway if you have a choice.

Book your hotel now if you can, airbnb if possible, eating out that weekend downtown is nuts si being able to eat in will help.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Book your hotel now if you can, airbnb if possible, eating out that weekend downtown is nuts si being able to eat in will help.

I booked the hotel as soon as he got the confirmation. I am sure that it is crazy everywhere that weekend.

Thanks for the airport info ladies. I will definitely look at Midway. I know that Southwest goes into Midway but they haven't released those flight dates yet.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

If you can, try to stay a day or two later, (I see your kids are older and missing school may not work), but the downtown area is a madhouse marathon weekend, so it would be nice to stay a few more days to enjoy things without the crazy crowds. I would book the Architecture Boat Tour asap (for the river, not Lake Michigan), that is a must as far as I'm concerned, interesting for all ages.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    If you can, try to stay a day or two later, (I see your kids are older and missing school may not work), but the downtown area is a madhouse marathon weekend, so it would be nice to stay a few more days to enjoy things without the crazy crowds. I would book the Architecture Boat Tour asap (for the river, not Lake Michigan), that is a must as far as I'm concerned, interesting for all ages.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely look into the tour. We are coming in on Friday and not leaving until Monday so hopefully we will have some time. Because of school for the kids it will be just DH and me for this trip but I would love to take them later on.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08