Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I agree you should do the fillings. It will be less expensive, less traumatic, and less uncomfortable going forward for your DD. Two years with stainless spacers is not at all a good idea.

Hi all,
    Thanks for this. Sounds like the overwhelming view is that short of the J and K teeth being on the verge of falling out, I should fill them.
    I get very scared of unsafe things in the fillings, but I guess I can't get around this.
    I'll just use it as a lesson to teach my kid to brush and floss well to stave off adult teeth cavities. (She brushes extremely well. Flossing though, not frequently enough).
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    Hi all,
    Thanks for this. Sounds like the overwhelming view is that short of the J and K teeth being on the verge of falling out, I should fill them.
    I get very scared of unsafe things in the fillings, but I guess I can't get around this.
    I'll just use it as a lesson to teach my kid to brush and floss well to stave off adult teeth cavities. (She brushes extremely well. Flossing though, not frequently enough).
    Thank you!!
    If you don't want to fill - do the silver diamine? Or you can try healing the cavities depending how deep they are.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    If you don't want to fill - do the silver diamine? Or you can try healing the cavities depending how deep they are.
    I don't know how many dentists would use different materials. And I also know that cavities can go bad really fast. In our case, in less than a month ds1 went from needing a small filling to a root canal then extraction when that got infected. We had tried to get our family dentist (the one that found the cavity) to do the filling when ds1 was 5yo and it was a disaster (fearful kiddo). We had a newborn and I didn't manage to get a new appointment with a pediatric dentist for a month. If I could have saved my kid that experience (root canal, extraction), I absolutely would have. Cavities can grow fast. I just wouldn't feel good letting my kid be a guinea pig while taking the time to heal them.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I don't know how many dentists would use different materials. And I also know that cavities can go bad really fast. In our case, in less than a month ds1 went from needing a small filling to a root canal then extraction when that got infected. We had tried to get our family dentist (the one that found the cavity) to do the filling when ds1 was 5yo and it was a disaster (fearful kiddo). We had a newborn and I didn't manage to get a new appointment with a pediatric dentist for a month. If I could have saved my kid that experience (root canal, extraction), I absolutely would have. Cavities can grow fast. I just wouldn't feel good letting my kid be a guinea pig while taking the time to heal them.
    Oh that sounds so difficult. I had a root canal and I would not want to wish that on a kid. It was not exactly painful, but hard because you can feel someone drilling into you and taste gross things and there are about 4 different appointments until it's done.

As far as fillings to use, yes, I don't think this dentist does anything beside the one filling she wants.
    MARYMOO86, thanks for this. If I had more time, I would have tried your options, which I had never heard of, but am interested in researching.

I forgot to mention in another post - YES, we are going for laughing gas. I have to pay an extra $100 plus for it, but it's worth it for this child. She is extremely scared of needles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2