Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Sleep-away camp vs. family vacations

I'm a SAHM with 3 DC, they'll be ages 10, 11, 13 next summer. DD (oldest) has not been interested in going away to camp, but just expressed interest this week when she realized most of her basketball teammates have been to the Y camp a couple hours away. We usually have a pretty relaxed summer with DH's family vacay, swim team, some time in FL with my mom, then a 2 week family adventure (CA, Nat'l parks, etc).

To send a DC to camp in our area is about $1200/week....so if they all 3 did go away, it would pretty much cost the same amount as our family vacation. We don't need the childcare, but it would be a great experience. I went just one week growing up, and it was a great experience...with a good friend. She has several friends (but no phone to chat with them out of school...) but not one she'd ask to go to a camp with her.

How do I decide if it's something to make happen or just let it go and carry on with our regular summer plan?

Because our (better) sleepaway camps are really pricey here, and we don't need the childcare, either, I'm holding off on sleep away camp until a kid says they really want to go. I'd love for them to go to the language camp I was a counselor at, but it's really pricey and a long drive to get there (4 hours or so). When our youngest is old enough to go to sleep away camp, it would be awesome to schedule things to have all three gone the same week, but I don't know if it'll work out that well (plus our oldest will be an older teen by then and would be more counselor age herself!).

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

It's tough. Only DD has wanted to go to sleepaway camp so far. She did 12 nights at a camp for fine arts last summer and is signed up again for this August. It's about $950 total, which isn't bad. DS1 does go to marching band camp and it ends just as DD leaves, so it does take up a lot of summer.
    Kris

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dd2 went to sleep away camp last summer for 7 days through the YMCA and it was $465 iirc. She had a great time and can’t wait to go back again next summer. If all three of your kids want to go then I would do it and you and your DH can enjoy the quality time alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I found camps that are affordable in a way that allows us to carry on with our usual vacation plans. You don’t have to pay a lot for some great camps. You just have to do your research. But, sounds like you need a specially camp so your options are limited for 1 kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would just send the 13 yo if she is interested. But I think I would look into less expensive options. I know there are more expensive camps out there (I used to go to one and it was great), but there are some good options around here for a good bit less. I’d let camp be something you get to do when you are older if is is an expensive one. My DC attend one trust is less than $400.
    K

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ourbabygirl View Post
    Because our (better) sleepaway camps are really pricey here, and we don't need the childcare, either, I'm holding off on sleep away camp until a kid says they really want to go. I'd love for them to go to the language camp I was a counselor at, but it's really pricey and a long drive to get there (4 hours or so). When our youngest is old enough to go to sleep away camp, it would be awesome to schedule things to have all three gone the same week, but I don't know if it'll work out that well (plus our oldest will be an older teen by then and would be more counselor age herself!).
    Sorry to derail, but do you mind telling me if you are talking about the Concordia language camps? I’d really like to ask you some questions about it. Would you mind pming me?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I prioritize family vacation time over sleepaway camps, but my two older kids have both done camps before (in DD's case, both a traditional sleepaway camp and an international expedition camp) and I am urging my boys to choose one for this upcoming summer. If it was one or the other, though, I'd try to devote the budget to the family trip most years, though I do think going away on their own at least once or twice is good for them too.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    I prioritize family vacation time over sleepaway camps, but my two older kids have both done camps before (in DD's case, both a traditional sleepaway camp and an international expedition camp) and I am urging my boys to choose one for this upcoming summer. If it was one or the other, though, I'd try to devote the budget to the family trip most years, though I do think going away on their own at least once or twice is good for them too.
    I agree with this.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would just send the 13 year old if she's the only one interested. You can do fun stuff with just the other 2. I know it's not the same, but my DS1 has been going to spend a week with my mom every summer that he looks forward to all year. Then we just have DS2 at home. We usually time it so that it's the 4th of July week so DS1 and my mom are out having their adventures (we give her about $600) and we take DS2 somewhere for 4th of July, usually to Palm Springs. Both kids enjoy their week without each other!!!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast