Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Girl Scout Moms, WWYD?

I have a cookie dilemma:

DD1 is 13. Her troop usually does two weekends of cookie booths, a troop-secured booth that they staff from 9am-6pm for two weekends. The location is highly lucrative, highly coveted and highly persnickety, and we're one of only two troops they're willing to work with. So there's a lot of pressure to make sure our booths are fully staffed and do well. In addition, DD (and most of the girls) are moving away from door-to-door sales towards booth sales. I had planned on DD and I taking at least 3 3-hour shifts over the two weekends to make up for her lack of door-to-door selling. And if she's at a booth, then I am expected to be there, too, as a supervising adult.

This year, one of our two booth weekends is this coming MLK weekend; something we only learned on Monday. As of right now, nobody is signed up for a shift at the booth on either day and the leaders are (understandably) urging us to step up. We will be in town, but I have family visiting (this particular family members only visits once every 2-3 years) and of course, that was scheduled long before the booths were. DH and I disagree on what to do.

DH thinks that this is not really my problem and that it would be rude/wrong to sign up for a booth shift during a family weekend. I see his point, but I also think that DD is part of a team and that we have an obligation to help the troop if we can. I'm tempted to take an early shift on one of the days. It would suck, but we'd be done by lunchtime and could spend the rest of the day with the family.

WWYD?
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Girl Scout Moms, WWYD?

I would do an early shift. You look like a team player and you still have plenty of time with the family.

When my family comes into town, I often go into work for a few hours in the morning while everyone else is still sleeping/getting moving for the day. They barely miss me. Your husband can take them all out to breakfast if he is worried that they will be bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    I would do an early shift. You look like a team player and you still have plenty of time with the family.

When my family comes into town, I often go into work for a few hours in the morning while everyone else is still sleeping/getting moving for the day. They barely miss me. Your husband can take them all out to breakfast if he is worried that they will be bored.

Totally agree.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you take one shift each morning, I don't think it will be a big deal for family. You'll be done early and still have the best of the day to see family. We just had family come into town and DS had two morning basketball games. They weren't interested in going, so we went and were done by lunch and then went on with our day. Not a big deal at all. We only see them once or twice a year.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What does your daughter want to do? I get wanting to teach her to be a team player, and if you had signed up for these booths prior to making family plans I would definitely follow through. I am a girl scout leader and last year I had a mom try to bail on her 2 hr. cookie booth time the night before because friends unexpectedly showed up to spend the weekend. I strongly encouraged her to go to the booth with her daughter because I had no one else to fill it and my own daughter and myself were already doing a shift that day. In the end she did show up, but her daughter sulked the whole time because mom had originally told her she wouldn't have to go.

So, if your daughter is OK with doing the booth, I would do an early shift and get it out of the way. But if she is going to be grumpy the whole time about missing the visiting family, then that may be a miserable 3 hrs. for both of you and not set a good example of girl scouting to the customers! I don't think you have an obligation to do the booth since you have prior plans, but if both you and your daughter are ok with doing it, it would be a great way to help out the troop. Wish all of my scout parents were as considerate as you are being!

I'm surprised no one signed up. I think it's okay to take an early shift, but I also think it would be okay to decline. I don't think either would be a major faux pas.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How many people do you have to have at a booth? In our council, we are supposed to have two registered adults and 2-4 girls. If you and your daughter are the only people from your troop signing up, I think it would be good for your troop to let the other troop have the booth.

I agree with PP that your daughter's interest should factor in this decision. Ultimately, it is the girl's booth and the girl's money earning activity. At 13, DD should understand the opportunity to earn money for the troop and the value of visiting family and make a thoughtful decision.

If you decide to work the booth, I agree that an early morning booth would be a good way to get it done and still have a lot of uninterrupted time with family.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with this.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As a former cookie mom, I think it would be great if you could take a shift this weekend. I cannot express how appreciative I'd be in that situation! As the mom of a former girl scout, I think it would be great if you could take a shift this weekend, especially if your DD isn't doing door-to-door sales. Booths are a pretty good way to get sales, as I'm sure you know. And a pretty easy way to get sales, when it comes down to it.

With all of that said, though, you shouldn't feel bad if you decide to skip it this weekend to have more time with visiting family.

Would anyone who's visiting you like to accompany you to the booth? I'd be happy to go hang out at a booth if my nieces were selling cookies!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Exactly! Your guests can relax and take their time getting going. You’ll be home before they miss you. If they are early risers, you and DD can meet them wherever their plans take them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast