Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keep or Toss?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Keep or Toss?

Keep or toss: Son made his lunch last night (sliced turkey sandwich with mustard & a piece of baked chicken on the side). Put it in his lunch box (metal containers) with a slim ice pack. Let it in his backpack all night instead of the refrigerator. Husband said it was still "cold" this morning. Changed the ice pack and was going to send it to school. Lunch 5 hours from now. Said it smelled fine.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Fine with me as long as it was still cold this morning.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Fine for me too.

Really? It was a thin ice pack.

Can you tell by smelling whether or not it has grown harmful bacteria?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    Really? It was a thin ice pack.

Can you tell by smelling whether or not it has grown harmful bacteria?
    You sure sound like you didn't need to ask your question. But, my question back is how long is your max lunchbox time before consumption? If you'd pack in the AM for him to eat after school, for example (due to activities...), that's really no different. Maybe invest in a better insulated lunchbox in the future too? The Costco ones are fantastic and the ice packs they come with are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You sure sound like you didn't need to ask your question. But, my question back is how long is your max lunchbox time before consumption? If you'd pack in the AM for him to eat after school, for example (due to activities...), that's really no different. Maybe invest in a better insulated lunchbox in the future too? The Costco ones are fantastic and the ice packs they come with are amazing!
    This food was in his lunchbox overnight so probably a full 12 hours before the second ice pack went in. Then it was going to be another 5 hours before it was consumed so a long, long time. My husband and I disagreed and that's why I asked. Trying to figure out if I was being unreasonable.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I would toss

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    Keep or toss: Son made his lunch last night (sliced turkey sandwich with mustard & a piece of baked chicken on the side). Put it in his lunch box (metal containers) with a slim ice pack. Let it in his backpack all night instead of the refrigerator. Husband said it was still "cold" this morning. Changed the ice pack and was going to send it to school. Lunch 5 hours from now. Said it smelled fine.
    I’d keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d toss. Not worth it.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it would depend on if it was truly cold still or not. Sounds like maybe you don’t trust your husband/son’s judgement on that

Had this argument with my DH this morning. Would you eat sliced turkey with an expiration date of 1/23, but says on package use within 7 days of opening, if you opened it exactly 1 week ago (ie last Monday)? DH said no, I happily ate my turkey roll ups today for lunch, we’ll see if I survive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast