Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default "On the Basis of Sex" movie

I went to see it yesterday with DH & the kids (the movie about Ruth Bader Ginsburg). We both loved it. Highly recommend it. I don't think you have to be super progressive to enjoy it, i think anyone who is interested in law and history of women making strides in earning equal rights. it is set in the 1950s and then progressing to early 70s. i did not know a lot of things about RBG's life..i was so impressed after it.

both my kids sat through the 2 hour movie. My DD did doze off for a bit during it but she said she liked it and she seemed interested throughout (was asking questions, etc know why women weren't allowed to do certain things, etc).

it is PG-13, mainly for language. There were no sex scenes or violence (that i can recall). i was totally comfortable having my DC's (9 and 7.75 watch it). though some previews (of other movies) at the theater were rather scary /not kid appropriate.

i could really relate to the movie as an engineer, going to college and conferences as a woman in a sea of men, being asked in appropriate/condescending questions etc - it was so amazing seeing a woman break through all that. in our theatre people clapped at the end.

anyway just wanted to urge others to see it. we were going to get a sitter to go watch it but then just figured we could take kids along (they had just read the "I Dissent" book so had some background). we saw the first showing of the day (at 11am) so it was rather cheap and the kids learned some history. im glad my son is able can see movies like this and have an example of what fathers/husbands can be like. (the various scenes with Marty Ginsburg cooking or taking care of the baby etc - awesomeness. recall in 1990s it was a COMPLETE NOVELTY of a man taking care of a kid - hence all those comedy movies about it).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.