♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default "On the Basis of Sex" movie

I went to see it yesterday with DH & the kids (the movie about Ruth Bader Ginsburg). We both loved it. Highly recommend it. I don't think you have to be super progressive to enjoy it, i think anyone who is interested in law and history of women making strides in earning equal rights. it is set in the 1950s and then progressing to early 70s. i did not know a lot of things about RBG's life..i was so impressed after it.

both my kids sat through the 2 hour movie. My DD did doze off for a bit during it but she said she liked it and she seemed interested throughout (was asking questions, etc know why women weren't allowed to do certain things, etc).

it is PG-13, mainly for language. There were no sex scenes or violence (that i can recall). i was totally comfortable having my DC's (9 and 7.75 watch it). though some previews (of other movies) at the theater were rather scary /not kid appropriate.

i could really relate to the movie as an engineer, going to college and conferences as a woman in a sea of men, being asked in appropriate/condescending questions etc - it was so amazing seeing a woman break through all that. in our theatre people clapped at the end.

anyway just wanted to urge others to see it. we were going to get a sitter to go watch it but then just figured we could take kids along (they had just read the "I Dissent" book so had some background). we saw the first showing of the day (at 11am) so it was rather cheap and the kids learned some history. im glad my son is able can see movies like this and have an example of what fathers/husbands can be like. (the various scenes with Marty Ginsburg cooking or taking care of the baby etc - awesomeness. recall in 1990s it was a COMPLETE NOVELTY of a man taking care of a kid - hence all those comedy movies about it).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Oh great! I was thinking of taking my 10 year old daughter and now I will for sure.

I’m gonna go to see it with my friends soon in theatre. But when it’s out on rental, I’ll love to watch again with my oldest son.

I think it’s very important for boys and young men to be brought or watched with. It’ll plant the seed in their heads and great conversation starter about perception of women and our rights in society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Will define taking Dd1 to see it. I am not sure Dd2 (8) will enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Awesome! I really want to see it, too!
    Thanks for the review!

I took my 10 year old to the documentary (it was a free Girl Scout event, which was SO COOL) and she LOVED it. I actually thought she would like it, but not be over the top into it. She really loved it. She has talked about RBG a lot since, and even notices sexist things more than she used to. For instance, if a story seems to mimic stereotypes of mothers and fathers (eg, a mother cooking and cleaning while a father coming back from work and leaving the table without cleaning) or a movie has a scene where a girl can't do something a boy is able to, she is primed to see sexism now and will say something!

I actually hadn't thought of taking my kids to the RBG other movie that's out now, but I will now... I was just talking about this to someone today because they were raving about it and I was saying that that was weird because it didn't get great reviews and they said that they had seen the reviews, too, and liked the movie much more than the critics.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is good to know! I am planning on seeing it, but it just came to my town this past weekend. I did see the RBG documentary, which I highly recommend. My 12 year old saw that with me and enjoyed it.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I took DS to see the RBG documentary. He enjoyed it and it sparked interesting conversations. I want to see the movie too

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you for the recc. I want to take 12 yr old DD to see it. Don't think the 8 year old will be able to sit through it...what do you think?

for Sandy Hook

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Thank you for the recc. I want to take 12 yr old DD to see it. Don't think the 8 year old will be able to sit through it...what do you think?
    I took my almost 13 and 16 year old to see it this past weekend. I agree it is great for your 12 year old, but would likely be too much of a stretch for the 8 year old; there are just things the 8 year old likely wouldn't be able to follow, which would likely make it very boring.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes