Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Any podcast similar to S town?

I have 6 hours in the car and need something that won’t put me to sleep.

"Believed" about the Larry Nasser victims

mnj77 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Ones I've enjoyed recently:

The Promise
    The Vanished
    Uncover: Escaping NXIVM
    Up and Vanished
    Bodies

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Like S Town in what way? Any other podcasts you have liked? There isn’t really anything that I have heard that is much like S Town, in that it was such a bizarre story. If you like something that is a continual story instead of individual episodes, I liked “Heaven’s Gate” about that cult. “Dirty John” was interesting, if a bit out there to me. I can recommend several true crime podcasts that are a single story, if you like that sort of stuff. Some friends have recommended “Slow Burn” but I haven’t listened to it yet. The first season is about Watergate, and he second is about the impeachment of Bill Clinton.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I liked S-Town, I'm not sure what you like about it, but since I also liked it... my fav recent Podcasts:

"The Dream" about MLMs, it doesn't sound interesting, but it was!
    "Cold" is about Josh and Susan Powell and his CREEEEEEEPY father. OMG, this one blows my mind. Lots of old audio of him and his dad. So so creepy and sad.
    "Dirty John" about a lyin', cheatin' man and one of the women that fell for him (was a series on Bravo, the podcast was better)
    "Dr. Death" about a TERRIBLE spinal surgeon and how he got away with being terrible for far too long
    "Homecoming" is a scripted story, Julia Roberts is now in the series on TV
    "Uncover: Escaping NXIVM"
    30 for 30 had a couple episodes about Bikram of Bikram Yoga that were good
    "Criminal" is about crime, individual episodes. They really come at it from unusual angles that you never think about. Different jobs in the criminal justice arena, etc. The one called "Lavender Scare" sticks in my mind as a favorite, but there were many.
    Last edited by khm; 01-17-2019 at 06:21 PM.

melwe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Some other recent ones I have enjoyed that are similar to ones listed above:

She Says: Can be hard to listen to at times but it's about one woman's experience with the criminal justice system after a sexual assault.

American Scandal: The first season about illegal steroid drug use was good.

Off Shore: Several seasons, first tackles a murder in Hawaii.

I also recommend Believed and Dr Death.
    Melanie

DD 12/06
    DS 9/2011

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Taking notes and adding to my list!! Thanks for this thread.

I thought of a couple more, also probably not related to S-Town, but good on a recent road trip.

"Heavyweight". This guy helps people go back and figure out a wrong from their past. Like a girl whose foster mom made her quit basketball and it kind of changed the course of her life in a bad way. His father and his long long time buddy had a falling out and he tried to get them back on track. An old friend of Moby wanted to tell him off, and get some records back from him, some records that shaped Moby's career.

"Reply All" similar to Heavyweight but about unraveling tech mysteries. My fav one was about a woman that bought bitcoin back in the day (to purchase drugs, youthful indiscretion, she's not a hardcore criminal). She didn't know how much was left in the bitcoin account, but some rough calculations said it could have been 5 figures for the $80 worth of bitcoin she bought..... But, the laptop the account was on died. She couldn't remember which site she used to buy it, etc. Was very interesting! One about those scammy ads, An Ad for the Worst Day of your Life, about Matt Logelin, whose wife died after giving birth. He became a blogger, then her image started being used for those ads "His wife died, then he logged into her blog and what he found changed everything......"

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Similiar to heavyweight is Family Ghosts.

Others I like -

By the Book (2 hosts read a self help book and try to follow it to the letter for 2 weeks).

If you like science/medicine - This Podcast Will Kill You (about infectious diseases - biology, history, current state of affairs.)

100% not safe for kids but hilarious - Nicole Byer's Why Won't You Date Me. She's the comedian who hosts Nailed It.

Sex Death & Money

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't listened to S town, so I can't speak to how similar they are, but Slate had a podcast about the Ruby Ridge standoff that I found really fascinating (search Ruby Ridge; the real name is much longer). I think it was only 4 hours long so you can listen to it in a single car ride.

The Slow Burn podcasts mentioned by a pp are also very interesting. I was an adult during the whole Clinton/Lewinsky thing, and I still learned a lot.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you like hockey and don’t have kids in the car Spittin Chichlets on Barstool Sports is awesome! The language is not appropriate, and at times it very much bathroom humor, but I love it.

I am not a big podcast person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast