Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Our neighbors are moving

They have lived next to us (really behind us) for 14 years.

The first time we met we realized we went to the same (small Christian) college, have tons of mutual connections and DH's step-family and neighbor's family actually spent time on the mission field together.

Our children have grown up together. My son, the most social child on the planet, has been able to play with their three boys like the brothers he didn't have. Neighbors even had twins 6 years ago, giving us another special bond!

A few months ago, neighbors purchased a gate (with our blessing) to install on our back fence so that the kids could pass through without climbing trees/fence while they played daily.

We've babysit, borrowed eggs, house sat, dog sat, had bonfires and cookouts and Christmas caroled and just talked over the back fence. It has been an incredibly blessing to have a family we know and trust so well as neighbors.

They are literally the only reason I enjoy our home or neighborhood.

They put off telling us, knowing it would be hard for all of us. Their home buying happened so quickly that is still a shock to see the moving van pulling away this morning.

I'm sad for my whole family, and especially for DS, who really yearns for a brother and now will be missing these boys like crazy.

I also feel sad for me, because I desperately want to leave this house and feel kind of jealous that they are moving to their dream home.

Just really emotional about it.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Btdt. It was so wonderful and great neighbors can't easily be replaced. Hugs!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    They have lived next to us (really behind us) for 14 years.

The first time we met we realized we went to the same (small Christian) college, have tons of mutual connections and DH's step-family and neighbor's family actually spent time on the mission field together.

Our children have grown up together. My son, the most social child on the planet, has been able to play with their three boys like the brothers he didn't have. Neighbors even had twins 6 years ago, giving us another special bond!

A few months ago, neighbors purchased a gate (with our blessing) to install on our back fence so that the kids could pass through without climbing trees/fence while they played daily.

We've babysit, borrowed eggs, house sat, dog sat, had bonfires and cookouts and Christmas caroled and just talked over the back fence. It has been an incredibly blessing to have a family we know and trust so well as neighbors.

They are literally the only reason I enjoy our home or neighborhood.

They put off telling us, knowing it would be hard for all of us. Their home buying happened so quickly that is still a shock to see the moving van pulling away this morning.

I'm sad for my whole family, and especially for DS, who really yearns for a brother and now will be missing these boys like crazy.

I also feel sad for me, because I desperately want to leave this house and feel kind of jealous that they are moving to their dream home.

Just really emotional about it.
    Im so sorry. I know what you are going through and it is so hard. But I find that change is never as bad as I expected. Different and uncomfortable yes, but never so bad I can’t tolerate it. If it does get that bad, maybe you’ll find your motivation to move to an area you DO like.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

hugs. Our neighbors who've lived there since before we bought the house 20yrs ago just moved last year though we clearly werent as close as you & yours. Its very hard.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OP we are dealing with this right now too. Our neighbors have only been there for 7 years but our kids are absolutely inseparable. They play every day that they can and are in the same school class. I'm really worried about my son losing his best friend!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

So sorry. We're the family who moved six months ago. We weren't tied to any one family, but were extremely close to several. We'd been there 19 years and honestly, some weird stuff happened with the neighbor group about two years ago. It made it easier to move. We'd chosen to stay back in 2013 because we really liked our neighbors.

And for some of the drama and a lot of the great, our new neighbors are OK, but certainly don't think will be great.

I have one friend who has moved a lot (different cities with jobs) and she says she's moved down in neighbor as she moves up in house. Probably what I have going on.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sorry. It is very sad to lose good friends. Will they be local at all? Can you still get together for Sat night meals/playdates? Any overlap in church/co-ops? If they are local, I'd try to keep your friendships going.

I'm sorry to that it makes you dislike your home even more now. That is just plain hard.
    K

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks guys. i just had no idea how difficult it would be! I really took for granted the comfort it was to have them there. Now I feel like even if we had an emergency, we don't have trust with any other neighbors. Just really feels lonely and empty.