mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What is the humidity in your home?

If you have a way to measure, what is the humidity in your home on average in winter and summer?

In the winter, do you regularly open windows in order to get outdoor fresh air and improve air quality inside?
    Last edited by mackmama; 01-19-2019 at 11:53 PM.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

During winter, broadly speaking, in the 30s. That’s with running a console style humidifier and filling it 2x per day. We don’t have forced air heat so we can’t install a system wide humidifier. That’s the best we can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dumb question but how would you find that out? We don’t use our heater and the bathroom windows stay open year round (they are small and narrow) so I’m guessing our humidity is whatever it is outside? But I’m very curious to find out if that’s accurate. My three boys share a room and it can feel humid in there, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Dumb question but how would you find that out? We don’t use our heater and the bathroom windows stay open year round (they are small and narrow) so I’m guessing our humidity is whatever it is outside? But I’m very curious to find out if that’s accurate. My three boys share a room and it can feel humid in there, lol.
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Humid.../dp/B0013BKDO8

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

according to my nest it ranges from 19%-22% depending on the room. It is VERY dry. I've been thinking of getting a humidifier or 100
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh wow. That looks cheap and functional!!

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is the same one I use too. Ours is 50% during winter.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    We have a Honeywell thermostat that lists it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

According to my thermostat it's at 17% right now. So dry. Should get a humidifier but too lazy, I guess.

We don't open windows, way too cold for that, but we have an air exchanger system in our house that pulls fresh air from outside into our heating system constantly.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

We got a whole-house humidifier attached to the HVAC system last year because our house was too dry and it has been the best $600 we ever spent. It is so much more comfortable this year. It is generally between 30-50% humidity but right now it is lower because it is 10 degrees outside and I haven't gone down to adjust the unit yet.
    We know our humidity because we have an ecobee thermostat. Right now we are at 25%.