Default under stairs storage deep narrow space?

I'm trying to improve our under the stairs storage. It's about 40" wide and a 48" deep with a steep overhang. Standard front door that opens up (same as our bedrooms. I was hoping to do an l-shaped shelf system sort of like this, but adjustable (w/Elfa or something similar)
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2a/c6...f313ae3649.jpg

When I spoke to someone at TCS yesterday she she thought that if we put an Elfa system on the right side it would stick out too far into the walk in space as you need 14" for their 12" shelves and hanging system. You'd be able to walk in, but no room to turn around/work etc w/out bumping into the stuff hanging on the left wall. And looking at some of the image above, that makes sense, those shelves are a lot narrower, but also fixed/built in, not on an hanging rod. We have those shelves in the garage so I went and took a look and I think she's right that they are going to be too wide.

So now I'm stuck b/c I was hoping to make it adjustable, since I'm not sure what all we'll put in there over the coming years. It'd be a great panty space but it's not particularly close to the kitchen, I suspect we'll have an assortment of things in it - spill over toys, home decor, games, emergency supplies, etc. just like we do now.

Anyone seen narrow adjustable shelves? (like 10" or 8") or have a similar space/ ideas on how to organize? Thx!
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How handy are you? Could you not use the elfa components, with lumber (from a lumber store) to create the shelves you want? Or even the solid shelving, from Elfa? Melamine is cheaper than Decora, and comes in 8" width. Solid shelves work better for canned good than the wire stuff. Lumber would be cheaper, probably - you'd have to drill holes to hold a mounting bracket in place, but we are doing that to make a Elfa desktop for DD1. 3/4" plywood is like 1/5 the price of an Elfa desktop - we just have to add the edge banding (iron-on, funnily enough) to the plywood and fasten it to the brackets.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/elf...uctId=10001035

And here is the section for solid shelving:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/elf...d-shelving/123

I think you might not have gotten the most knowledgeable CS employee if they didn't suggest the narrower shelves. I'd do some kind of solid shelves on the right, deeper shelves on the back if they fit, and perhaps a hanging board on the other long side if you think it would be useful. Also, take a look at their utility shelving section. They have 10" metal shelves, too - you can flip it for a flat shelf, or use the other side for a rim - it would keep cans from getting knocked off as easily:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/elf...uctId=10034893

I had the same storage space under the stairs in my childhood home. We used it for the suitcases, Tupperware storage containers holding our Xmas and Halloween decorations. Also stored the heavy winter coats and full length coats my mum had, my soccer cleats, and winter boots. It’s bit smaller than your space and there’s already pantry space in the kitchen, so food and kitchenware stuff never got stored there.

Is there a way you can hang few wide lumber shelf’s and put your seldom used kitchen appliances and extra TP, paper towels, etc? Bleach? Or if this space is closer to your front door which it was for mums home, store all the excess kids jackets, off season sports equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ours is currently right off the kitchen and we ripped out the shelves like yours. We put Elfa on one wall, 2’ section, and I have (10+) TCS multi-purpose bins on them, with the ends all lined up. Also stacked on top are the huge plastic divided containers we use for taking veggies to the pool, LLB cooler bags, etc. it’s all easily reachable from the door since the MPBins are open on top and labeled. Under the wire shelves are recycling bins and flats of water of Gatorade bottles. Our sloped ceiling goes further back, so we have a Christmas tree and all our decorations, wreaths, ALL random bags, and even a Miele canister vacuum at the front. It is packed and SO useful. Because the wire racks and the plastic liners allow light to penetrate, it’s all easily viewable. A good lightbulb in that closet works wonders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk