Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Help! Dress for wedding

A younger colleague of DH’s is getting married, DH is a mentor to him, we’re one of few people at work being invited to wedding as they both have large families.

March 2 in LA. Attire is “Semi-formal: suits, cocktail dresses and gowns are all welcome”

I have 2 cocktail dresses (lace overlay). One in maroon which I’ve worn to the work Christmas parties, and one in black but I don’t wear black to weddings, even though I know people do. Both are loft size 6.

I was thinking of rent the runway, but how do you know your size? Or I could buy if I’ll wear it again, but I’m hoping to lose 10 more pounds so renting may be better option. How does it work to rent?

I’ve been losing weight and think I’m a 6 or 8 depending on cut. I’m pear shaped, very hippy and much smaller waist. I usually have to try 2 sizes on when buying clothes. I’m S in loft for tops and wear size 6 old navy jeans that are too big in waist but better in butt. Still hate my chubby thighs, so form fitting isn’t for me. Sheaths normally don’t fit me either. I’m 45 years old, 5’ 2.5”

Any suggestions?
    Or should I just wear black over nude overlay dress as have it so save money and it fits. It’s not all black, and it’s LA so other people will wear black too. I could wear maroon cocktail dress and different shoes/accessories it based on invitation and their website, I think maroon may be a wedding color Image1548094002.380834.jpg Image1548093340.833348.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-21-2019 at 02:07 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd wear the black dress you own already, save the stress/time of searching RTR and put the money towards new clothes when you're weight loss is stable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Default Help! Dress for wedding

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I'd wear the black dress you own already, save the stress/time of searching RTR and put the money towards new clothes when you're weight loss is stable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I’m thinking this too. It’s LA, most people will be wearing black!

Ok so then what accessories?? I’ve got one pair of plain black pump heels that are boring and not that comfortable.

Last edited by niccig; 01-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Would a block heel sandal work? The block heel will be easier for me to wear. https://m.zappos.com/p/nine-west-pru...roduct/8989195

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm short and I don't like the look of the ankle straps unless you have really long legs (anytime I see pics the models have toothpick thin long legs so they look good in the stock photos), just my take on it.

Since you're not buying a dress, why not spend some money on some cute shoes you will be able to wear a lot, in LA you're going to be able to wear sandals a lot, maybe a block heel without the strap (elongates your leg more than the ankle strap).

I don’t have any black dressy sandals so I agree to look for a pair of sandals. I’m not sure about ankle strap either. I’ll see what I can find and Zappos returns are great

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Would you want to mix things up with a shrug to go along with one of your dresses?
    K

I agree with wearing the dress you already have in black. Don't want to be mistaken for a bridesmaid.

These sandals are pretty comfortable as far as heels go: https://www.amazon.com/Naturalizer-W...dp/B004A7CFZM/

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    I agree with wearing the dress you already have in black. Don't want to be mistaken for a bridesmaid.

These sandals are pretty comfortable as far as heels go: https://www.amazon.com/Naturalizer-W...dp/B004A7CFZM/
    Is this style of sandal with straps over front of foot preferable to ankle strap style?

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Would you want to mix things up with a shrug to go along with one of your dresses?
    I don’t have a shrug.. what would you suggest?? I’ve got a couple pashminas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast