mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Dizziness from ear - ideas to help?

I've had a bad cold the last 2 weeks which is finally starting to get better. Now one of my ears feels plugged, and I'm having some dizziness/vertigo. No ear pain at all including when I push/pull on it, no fever. Any ideas on what to do about this dizziness? I can't take decongestants due to a cardiac issue. I did take Advil thinking that could help any inflammation, and I've taken some steam showers. Anyone BTDT?

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You most likely have middle ear congestion. Didn’t you post about taking an antibiotic? I would take it to clear up the infection.
    K

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Look at some lymphatic drainage massage videos on YouTube. It has helped me in the past.
    DS 2/09

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    Look at some lymphatic drainage massage videos on YouTube. It has helped me in the past.
    Yes thiis!

Chiro will help as well.

Ok I just looked one up and did the exercises. No change yet but hoping it helps. Thanks!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Talk to your doctor, you should be able to take chlorpheniramine. If it’s actually causing severe dizziness the risk from fall might outweigh the potential risk from meds.
    Here’s an article that summarizes risks and a table of preferred meds for hypertension.
    https://www.pharmacytimes.com/public...tc-medications

Nasal spray (Flonase) is supposed to help dry up the ear fluid. DD is dealing with ear fluid that won’t drain after an ear infection, and the doctor recommended Flonase and decongestants (and to also try antihistimes like Claritin if the decongestants don’t help.). Nothing has helped her and we see an ENT tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Talk to your doctor, you should be able to take chlorpheniramine. If it’s actually causing severe dizziness the risk from fall might outweigh the potential risk from meds.
    Here’s an article that summarizes risks and a table of preferred meds for hypertension.
    https://www.pharmacytimes.com/public...tc-medications
    Thank you for this. I don't have hypertension though. I have an arrhythmia so was told to avoid decongestants.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Nasal spray (Flonase) is supposed to help dry up the ear fluid. DD is dealing with ear fluid that won’t drain after an ear infection, and the doctor recommended Flonase and decongestants (and to also try antihistimes like Claritin if the decongestants don’t help.). Nothing has helped her and we see an ENT tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I forgot about Flonase - thank you! I might try it. I tried it years ago, and it made me feel super spacey but I might give it another go.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My husband had a really bad round of this a couple years ago and for some reason he now gets it every time he’s sick. In addition to decongestants, he chews a TON of gum when he’s feeling symptoms and also uses Hyland’s Ear Drops. We’ve done the massages as well, not sure if that helped.