anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Maine without kids -- which area?

DH and I are considering a quick, no-kids trip for our 20th anniversary this summer. I've found a few resorts in Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor and Rockport, ME, that look absolutely wonderful, but neither of us has actually ever been to Maine so I was hoping someone had BTDT experience.

we're hoping for a somewhat upscale hotel/resort, close to dining, shopping and the water. Beach access is nice but not absolutely critical. I figure we'll do boat tour one day, DH wants to do some stand-up paddleboarding, and then spend time exploring the town and just relaxing. Does anyone have a place they particularly like?
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Default Maine without kids -- which area?

The Samoset in Rockport is gorgeous.
    DH grew up near Bar Harbor/Acadia area so we’re up that way a lot. Lots of beaches, hiking, etc.
    Our favorite place in Maine is the Cliff House, just outside Ogunquit. The resort just had a huge makeover and is gorgeous! It’s built on a cliff and all the rooms overlook the ocean, most with private balcony/terrace. The restaurants, spa, etc are all amazing and the service is impeccable! No beach access from the hotel but you can head to York or Ogunquit for beaches. https://www.destinationhotels.com/cliff-house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by billysmommy; 01-22-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was going to suggest Cliff House as well.
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thought I'd update with what we ended up doing:

We looked into the Cliff House and it looked amazing, but a little bit out of our budget.

Instead, we spent one night in Portland (because our plane landed at 11:00 pm) and did a foodie tour in the Old Port area in the morning. That was a lot of fun.

We stayed at the Newagen Seaside Inn in Southport (10 minutes from Boothbay Harbor) for two nights. It was a lovely spot, on the ocean but without any access to the water. Grounds are gorgeous; tons of amazing flowers. The rooms were spacious and nicely decorated, though we were there during a particularly hot/humid time and the room was really humid. Overall, we felt that Southport, where the Newagen is actually located, was a tiny bit more remote than we really liked, though we did enjoy Boothbay Harbor.

Then we headed up to Rockland and stayed at the 250 Main Hotel, which was AMAZING. It's the only time I've ever felt that the hotel's website photos didn't do the room justice. Our room had two walls of huge windows facing out onto the harbor and it almost startled me every time I walked into the room, it was that pretty. The hotel is situated at the end of Main Street in Rockland, and it's an easy walk to a half dozen restaurants, at least a dozen shops and two museums. Decor is very modern, and the hotel had tons of little thoughtful touches, like reusable water bottles in the lobby that could be refilled with chilled, room temperature, or sparking water, and a towel heater in the bathroom. From Rockland, it's an easy drive into Camden.

Overall, we really liked what we saw of Maine and are looking forward to going back with the kids.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011