Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cocktail Dress and Shoe Dilemma

So here's the deal: I am going with DH (VP of the trust company) to his company's anniversary reception in mid-February. It will be held in a very ornate opera house / ballroom ( been there for several events) and the attire is cocktail. There will be a reception and symphony performance.

While my husband will have no issues with the dress code, I work full time from home, sitting at my desk behind the computer screens in my yoga pants! I currently have no viable options to wear, which is fine, I can purchase something. I was thinking something like this maybe :

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/s...%26slotId%3D16

I really want something simple and would prefer sleeves. I am unfortunately not thrilled with my current figure, which could be best described as an apple ( thin legs, but all my weight is in my midsection). I don't usually wear dresses and this is where the other part of the dilemma comes into play: I know heels would be appropriate for this (or any) dress, but since my back surgery, I have severe nerve damage and weakness in my left leg that makes wearing heels impossible, I can easily roll my ankle in flats, so heels just can't happen, unless they were super chunky and low, maybe....and that's a big maybe.

So given the shoe issue, should I forget the dress and go with dressy slacks and a shimmery top/sweater? (It will be cold.) Any thoughts, suggestions on attire? Ideas? I don't want to spend a ton, but would be willing to spend more for the pants/ top as I would probably use them more. Any ideas would need to be plus size. Thanks!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You don’t need heels for that dress. Ballet flats would be fine. Maybe even just an opaque black tight and black flat. I’ll pull up some shoe ideas.
    Cute dress, by the way. Bling it up some jewelry wise though.
    Don’t wear pants. You’re wrong in thinking dressy pants are less likely to need heels. If anything, going to a cocktail party and trying to pull off pants definitely calls for heels or it could look too casual (and possibly a bit grumpy based on specific choices).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You don’t need heels for that dress. Ballet flats would be fine. Maybe even just an opaque black tight and black flat. I’ll pull up some shoe ideas.
    Cute dress, by the way. Bling it up some jewelry wise though.
    Don’t wear pants. You’re wrong in thinking dressy pants are less likely to need heels. If anything, going to a cocktail party and trying to pull off pants definitely calls for heels or it could look too casual (and possibly a bit grumpy based on specific choices).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I can definitely do ballet flats for an evening and jewelry would be easy to find! I just don't know how that freewill look on me, but that's a whole other issue.... ��
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love that dress! You’re going to look fabulous!
    DS 2/09

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    I love that dress! You’re going to look fabulous!
    Thank you! ��
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That is a beautiful dress! I definitely think black velvet flats would look totally appropriate with that dress.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Love the dress and I agree with others that black tights and flats will be perfect with it

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    That is a beautiful dress! I definitely think black velvet flats would look totally appropriate with that dress.
    Thanks! I think black velvet flats sound easy enough to find.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Love the dress and I agree with others that black tights and flats will be perfect with it
    Glad to know I am on the right track. It's been a long time since I've had a dressy occasion.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would also look at solid colors dresses/all one pattern or ones without the puffy waist, would have to see that one on to know how it fits, but a fit and flare dress might also work. I'm on mobile snd I'm tired but will look tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast