WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Where to ski at the end of March?

We are using up airline credits and flying into Denver the last week of March. I love Steamboat, but have always been in Jan/Feb and read they may not have great snow those last few days of March. A friend from growing up has a rental in Granby, but it's 20-30 min from Winter Park. I was hoping to get a tiny ski-in/ski-out place for our family of 5.

I don't know that area at all, but want to make this fun for our family. Will driving in each day from her place or moving lodging be cumbersome? Is there somewhere else we should be looking that will def. have decent snow at that time?

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I highly recommend Winter Park. I did a lot of research last year and Winter Park has the latest closing date due to its location and the way it faces. You can Google historical closing dates. Winter Park had huge snowfalls through April last year. It was great when we went in late March.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I highly recommend Winter Park. I did a lot of research last year and Winter Park has the latest closing date due to its location and the way it faces. You can Google historical closing dates. Winter Park had huge snowfalls through April last year. It was great when we went in late March.
    Wonderful! Did you stay on the mountain or would we be okay driving in from Granby? I was trying to see if there’s a shuttle...it’s funny going to a new place and not knowing how it all works. Somewhere I saw kids ski rentals are free and you can leave them on the mountain at the rental place. I’ve only ever enjoyed ski-in/walk-out. I was not a fan of taking skis on a shuttle bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Wonderful! Did you stay on the mountain or would we be okay driving in from Granby? I was trying to see if there’s a shuttle...it’s funny going to a new place and not knowing how it all works. Somewhere I saw kids ski rentals are free and you can leave them on the mountain at the rental place. I’ve only ever enjoyed ski-in/walk-out. I was not a fan of taking skis on a shuttle bus.

We stayed at the resort with an easy walk to lifts. Yes, you can leave skis at the rental place overnight so no hauling them around. I don’t know about staying in Granby. I’ve been spoiled always staying on site but at least you wouldn’t be hauling skis. There is a shuttle but not sure of route. We rented through VRBO which was much cheaper than renting through resort. You have to crunch the numbers though as sometimes you only get the promotions (kids free rentals, etc) if you rent through the resort. For us it was still cheaper to do VRBO.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you have a 5th grader don’t forget to look into the free passes through Ski Colorado. 6th grade isn’t free but there is a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    If you have a 5th grader don’t forget to look into the free passes through Ski Colorado. 6th grade isn’t free but there is a discount.
    Ooh, okay! We have a 5th grader, and a 7th and 4th grader...
    Wow, this is awesome! I'm in the process of getting this set up. It ends in a few days. Thanks so much! Wish me luck changing the photo format from HEIC to jpeg so it will upload to the ski colorado site.

ETA: It worked! DS's 5th grade ski passport is being processed. yay!!
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 01-24-2019 at 08:33 PM.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Excellent! We have saved a bunch of money this year utilizing 5th ski free and Under 10 ski free (this is in a few CO resorts, but mostly New Mexico).

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The area of Keystone/Breckenridge gives you the option to head to Arapahoe Basin if you need better snow (they stay open really late season).

We always go mid March, so I don't know about late March. Steamboat was always fine then, but we went to Beaver Creek last year (and going this year) and maybe it's a bit better. It's pricier though. Steamboat is also at least 2x the drive time (we fly in, but my brother lives in Denver and he will come join us for a night in Beaver Creek but Steamboat was too far).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Decided to rent a friend’s Airbnb in Granby, so it looks like we will likely do 3 days in winter park at least and maybe 1-2 more somewhere else (or back there if we have the energy!)

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I heard Breckenridge is planning to stay open through Memorial Day this year. That and Arapahoe are super high. Steamboat is lower and mostly south facing so I agree they don't hold their snow as well but this year everywhere has a ton so far. Our SB is last week of March and they don't always have great snow then vs. some of the other spots.