Default Depression symptoms can include anger which is often misunderstood

Just heard a great segment on NPR this morning about how anger can be a symptom of depression. I thought it was really interesting and thought I'd post just in case it helps anyone.

Text and audio options: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...y-be-depressed

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have been seeing it in my DH quite a bit. He won't admit to having depression but I know he does. He never used to have anger and now he definitely does. I try to point it out to him, but that does not work. Ugh. I wish he was willing to see a therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I have been seeing it in my DH quite a bit. He won't admit to having depression but I know he does. He never used to have anger and now he definitely does. I try to point it out to him, but that does not work. Ugh. I wish he was willing to see a therapist.
    That stinks. I am sorry you are going through this. I'm no help as I didn't realize I had depression and wouldn't go to therapy until I hit absolute rock bottom with my DH.

Your DH is lucky to have you as his wife. Please take care of yourself as DH had to go to individual therapy too (as well as marriage counseling) to deal with all my baggage and some of his own. We are in a good place now. It does get better.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I saw it too and find it very interesting and relevant.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I went through a time when I was very quick to anger around my family. Everything my DH and DS did annoyed me. I was fine at work (but that has always been my escape from my reality) I am in healthcare and recognized it as depression and my doctor started me on meds which I took for a couple years.
    mom to Billy 12/07

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I see it in my sister and wish she would recognize it. I'm pretty sure hers stems from post partum depression that never got treated, but man is she irritable.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I see this a lot within asian communities. There is still so much stigma against mental health, that people keep stuffing it down and it ends up exhibiting itself in other ways, such as displaced anger and resentment.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs