Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    The director is not school staff. She is the owner of the local theater school.
    This might have something to do with it. Is it a school production, or an after school activity or some combination? I think it not being a straight school event explains a lot. A non-teacher outsider would probably think a shy kid wouldn't want to do much on the show.

Regardless, I think following up is a good idea (and I still think you should stress how much your DD wants to be involved and even have her just show up and say "how can I help" might be a good idea although I get she's shy...at some point she has to get past that, it's not serving her). I really hope it works out for your DD.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

[QUOTE=petesgirl;4325224-can you really have too many of that crew??[/QUOTE]

Crew is the single most requested part by sixth graders at my DC's school. Every year, at least five or six students are turned away. From what I understand, there were about a dozen students turned away last year. Every year, teachers tell students that they will actually have a better chance at getting a part on stage than on the crew. The number is limited because more adult/teacher supervision of the crew would be needed otherwise. (I believe the limit is only for this age level; I'm pretty sure the high school production crews are open to everyone who wants to participate).

OP, I hope it works out for your DD.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m sorry, that really sucks. For you and your DD.

When I was in 4th grade they had a school musical. You had to try out, not only for speaking parts, but for the freaking chorus. In 4th grade.

I tried out, which involved “auditioning” in front of several teachers in a room singing by myself. Which wasn’t easy for me, being a shy 4th grader.

I apparently wasn’t good enough. I didn’t even make the chorus. I am still pissed at that music teacher. Miss Shepherd! I was a very well behaved kid and I can’t imagine what damage I could have done in the chorus.

It may not have been true but it seemed at the time I was the only one who went through an audition for a 4th grade school play to get rejected. I learned all the songs from my classmates and went home and sang them to my parents.

I took up clarinet and ended up getting to all state level by sophomore year of high school. I won best musician in my high school senior class. I played through college and I hope to take it back up again when I retire. So F U to elementary and middle school teachers who don’t give motivated kids who want to do their stuff and chance.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ciw View Post
    Crew is the single most requested part by sixth graders at my DC's school. Every year, at least five or six students are turned away. From what I understand, there were about a dozen students turned away last year. Every year, teachers tell students that they will actually have a better chance at getting a part on stage than on the crew. The number is limited because more adult/teacher supervision of the crew would be needed otherwise. (I believe the limit is only for this age level; I'm pretty sure the high school production crews are open to everyone who wants to participate).

OP, I hope it works out for your DD.
    How do they decide who to include and who to turn away? I can’t really think of a way to assess a child’s ability to be a good crew!

It's a school production but they hired an outside director. This director doesn't know the kids at all, except the ones that tried out for a part and that's just based on their audition.

I don't understand how being an usher would be good for a shy kid. Hopefully, no one sits in the wrong seat. I doubt DD will have the courage to ask someone to move even if they're in the wrong seat.

At first, I told DD I wasn't going to get involved. She's old enough to approach the director herself and this would've been a good opportunity for her to "use her voice". She wouldn't do it. I even offered to help her compose an email to the director. But again, she wouldn't. Then she started bawling and it broke my heart to see her like that. I didn't realize what a big deal this was for her. I emailed the director on Thursday night. I still haven't heard back. I figured I'll wait until tomorrow and then I'll send another email or contact the school directly to see what can be done. I'm seriously upset about the lack of response from the director, even if it's just to say nothing can be done at this point.

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    How do they decide who to include and who to turn away? I can’t really think of a way to assess a child’s ability to be a good crew!
    I believe that preference is given to students who have grades in good standing, are well behaved and can work well with other students and without direct adult supervision. If they have students where all of those things are equal, I really don't know how they choose.

That's for the school production. I have a child who is involved in a community production as well and in that case, backstage positions are usually first offered to kids who have been "rejected" from a stage part that year or from a backstage part in previous years.

I'm happy and relieved to report a happy ending. I emailed the director Thursday night and she still didn't respond to me so yesterday I emailed the school secretary asking who else I can contact. She forwarded my email to the administrative assistant who is like our assistant principal. The admin asst emailed me right away and said they would try to find something else for DD, just have DD see her about it. I told DD last night and she was not happy about having to speak to admin asst since she is quite intimidating. We went over what she would say and we practiced. Today she went to speak to the admin asst and is now doing sets & props instead of being an usher. Good thing I emailed yesterday instead of waiting until today or tomorrow. I thought the next rehearsal was on Friday but it was today. If I had waited, DD would've missed another rehearsal.

I'm still a little miffed that the director never emailed me back even just to say nothing can be done or tell me who I should speak to...I guess that should be a separate post. I'm just happy that DD gets to be a part of the play in a capacity that she wants to be.

Great news! I’m glad that someone was able to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

YAY!!!
    K

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3