Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Beach/lake suggestions needed!

My DH's extended family (including us) go on a weeklong beach vacation every other year. This year we're having trouble coming up with a place. It has to be driving distance from MI, DC and NY. We've done Outer Banks, Lake Michigan (near Traverse City), and Deep Creek Lake MD. It's getting harder and harder to find a place. there are 14 of us, and only four kids now (mine being the youngest.) Finding a house that fits us all is hard. Luckily, cost isn't really a factor (MIL loves to joke about spending our inheritance). Of course DH and I would love the OBX again, but it's really far for everyone else. I'm not doing Lake Michigan again, that was ridiculously far for us. Where else should we look? We've looked at the Poconos but haven't been able to find waterfront houses that are big enough. (Oh, that's another thing, one SIL refuses to look at places that are not waterfront.) We've also looked at the Jersey Shore, but there's nothing that fits our family that's beachfront. I appreciate any suggestions you guys have.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My favorite- and recommended to me by posters here- is Sandbridge, VA. It’ll be a drive for the MI people though but it’s really a nice spot. It’s a 15 minute drive to Virginia Beach but it’s a totally residential area. There are like 4 rows of houses at max- Bay front on the 4th row, ocean front in the 1st and no house is a far walk to the beach. It’s on the same land as the Outerbanks but connected with parks land between (you can bike to NC from Sandbridge though, just not drive through). We used to do the Reboboth area but this is just so much nicer. The beaches aren’t crowded and it’s just easy.
    But, I’ll try and think of somewhere that’s remotely convenient to the areas you list and that you haven’t already done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know nothing about specific places to stay or anything, but have you looked at Lake George (New York)? I remember that it was a vacation destination.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    I know nothing about specific places to stay or anything, but have you looked at Lake George (New York)? I remember that it was a vacation destination.
    I haven't, but I will, thanks!

Snuggles, DH and I are scouring Sandbridge. We've been before on a family vacay, and it's super close for us. And closer than OBX for the MI folks. There just aren't that many houses that are big enough for us. That would be my #1 choice.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I haven't, but I will, thanks!

Snuggles, DH and I are scouring Sandbridge. We've been before on a family vacay, and it's super close for us. And closer than OBX for the MI folks. There just aren't that many houses that are big enough for us. That would be my #1 choice.
    We booked back in September. Some of those houses go fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    My DH's extended family (including us) go on a weeklong beach vacation every other year. This year we're having trouble coming up with a place. It has to be driving distance from MI, DC and NY. We've done Outer Banks, Lake Michigan (near Traverse City), and Deep Creek Lake MD. It's getting harder and harder to find a place. there are 14 of us, and only four kids now (mine being the youngest.) Finding a house that fits us all is hard. Luckily, cost isn't really a factor (MIL loves to joke about spending our inheritance). Of course DH and I would love the OBX again, but it's really far for everyone else. I'm not doing Lake Michigan again, that was ridiculously far for us. Where else should we look? We've looked at the Poconos but haven't been able to find waterfront houses that are big enough. (Oh, that's another thing, one SIL refuses to look at places that are not waterfront.) We've also looked at the Jersey Shore, but there's nothing that fits our family that's beachfront. I appreciate any suggestions you guys have.
    Look at Loveladies/Harvey Cedars/Beach Haven on Long Beach Island or Avalon/Stone Harbor (all in NJ) if cost isn't an issue. There are definitely beachfront properties that would fit 14 people.

Default Beach/lake suggestions needed!

How about chautauqua lake? I haven’t been but I know people who really like it.

Or Lake Ann? That’s close fofbuiu.

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    If you’re thinking about Lake George, you can also consider Lake Placid...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Check the shores of Lake Champlain in Vermont.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Chincoteague Island? I don't know how many houses are available like this one, but my Mom knows the owner and we used to vacation here when the lot held an old crabbing shack that we stayed at. As long as there are not infants or toddlers, the entire property can hold lots of people
    https://www.deepholecreek.com/Eureka_.php
    mom to Billy 12/07

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast