Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone have barn doors in their home? Do they block out noise well?

I've heard mixed things on them so I wanted to get more opinions.

I was thinking of putting them up to block out sound from our front living / dining room since that area often doubles as a hangout area for the kids when they have friends over.

They are so pretty but I have heard from some people that they don't really block out sound well, so I just wanted to get more opinions if anyone else has these types of doors in their home
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not yet but planning one that is mostly going to be decorative. Every hotel and Airbnb that we have stayed in with sliding barn doors let in a fair bit of noise. The worst is when they have them on the bathrooms. If you don't need bathroom level or sleeping privacy then they should be fine in other rooms.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have one that is the door to our master bedroom closet. It blocks out no sound - it's there to look pretty and provide visual privacy without taking up the space of a regular door. I would definitely not count on barn doors blocking out sound! Even regular doors don't block sound out all that well unless you go with the more expensive solid doors (and even then, if you really want to block sound then you should think about insulating foam between the studs of the walls plus solid core doors).

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I wouldn't think they'd block noise well. They float over the opening, rather than actually closing off the opening.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No they would not block noise, and if kids were to be using them they might not last. I did read that they might also be falling off the hot decorating trend, but i like the look of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No, it muffles sound, but doesn't reduce level by any measurable amount. My neighbor has them, her husband owns a essentially a flipper company so has put them in a lot of houses. They have peaked in popularity here and on a downward trend, but still popular.

Darn, this is what I was afraid of. I wonder if I should just consider French doors instead. And even then how much noise would they block out?

A friend of mine is a piano instructor and teaches piano in her own home. She actually used a few layers of curtains and what she did was put super thick sound blocking curtains in between the layers and then prettier curtains in the front and back so you could not see it and it worked fairly well she said. I wonder if that's worth a try as well
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would do French doors.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a French door to a room and it does a pretty good job of blocking noise. I am constantly reminding my kids to be more careful with it though!
    K

Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have one and while it looks great, the barn door only muffles noise.

I would highly recommend French doors to sufficiently block noise.
    Stephanie

Mamma to James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast