doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How do I prepare for this interview?

For the past 4 yrs I've been working as a substitute teacher

year 1 7w as a library paraprofessional then the remainder of the year as a reg sub
    year 2 I worked as a long term sub for a para named Sue from Nov - March and remainder of the year reg teacher
    year 3 Sue was injured & ill and I worked for her from Oct - end of the year
    year 4 (this yr) Sue was again ill and I've been covering for her since Mid Nov. She retired in Jan and I applied for her permanent position over Christmas break.

I heard nothing back so I asked the principal who told me she'd received several applications and would schedule interviews 2nd wk of Jan. I've heard nothing from the principle since. I've asked the lead teacher who told the principal that at this point it would be detrimental to the classes I'm in etc. Nothing.

Today, lead teacher told me that the principal is possibly scheduling an interview with me for tomorrow. I've heard nothing directly. I made the comment that I'd be happy to do it after school and lead teacher said no its done during the day b/c the interviewing parties would otherwise have to stay - so I dont even know who I would be interviewing with.

How should I prepare, if at all?

I'm hugely stressed by this b/c I'm now in a situation where I NEED an income. before, subbing was enough but things have changed. I was actually thinking about how to warn lead teacher that I need to start looking for a real job rather than being a sub b/c I cant be w/o an income come June.

thanks for making it this far.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Congrats!
    Wear something nicer than the usual.
    Don’t know if you submitted a resume, but if you have not, draw one up listing past work experience—esp your most recent and most relevant experience.
    Be confident! Tell them you really want the job and the timing is great.
    Best of luck!
    K

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn’t say anything else to the lead teacher. Telling them you aren’t going to sub isn’t necessary. If they want to hire you they will if not start applying now for other jobs.

In our school the teachers who will work with the candidate have a lot of say in who gets hired so remember that.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Did the interview happen? How did it go?
    K

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Did the interview happen? How did it go?
    Thanks for asking. Nope. Too many people out today. But the principal spoke to me today & scheduled it for tomorrow afternoon.

I'm struggling trying to prepare & figure out what to wear etc.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Good luck!!! I am sure you’ll do great, you have the hang of the job already
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Do you get the sense at all that this is a formality? I would dress extra nice, spend some extra time on hair and makeup, and go in confident that you have been doing an excellent job and are truly the best candidate.

I’d think of a few examples you can give if when you overcame a challenge in your class, or made adaptions for a student, or dealt with collaborating with the teacher. .