Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How hard is it to rsvp?

Yes, Im complaining. I'm throwing a lovely bridal shower for my 30 year old DN at a restaurant. Most of these people are 40 and older. How hard is it to rsvp? I mean send me a text, call me or send me an email. You can see the date, are you available to come on that day? Do you want to come? I mean I feell like for most people its a no brainer. SOme of these people (family members) are states away. If you dont want to travel and come, well thats easy, just reply no.

I would just like to punch a bag right now!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yep. You just have to email/text/call and ask though. Just threw a shower for my SIL so I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, yes, DS’s birthday party is in a week and only about 1/3 of people RSVP’d without me having to hunt them down and ask. Including 2 people I see on a daily basis at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It sux. Makes you not want to organize and plan anything. It is a PITA for everything I plan from Girl Scouts events to work events. I don't even throw bday parties for my kids because the extra guests/no shows have caused me so much stress. I either end up with extra favors or not enough (which I spend a lot of $$ and thought on), and food/supplies wastage. My kids get a nice personal celebration and a nice gift instead.

I’m so sorry. It definitely bites for a birthday parties, but I can understand it a little bit more.Your kid brings them home and it could be an invite for some random kid who you don’t know, you forget about it, etc. It’s still annoying. But I think it’s worse for bridal showers and baby showers. First of all, adults are being invited. And typically, if you’re invited to a shower, you usually have somewhat of a good or close relationship to the guest of honor.

Several years back, I was in a bridal party and we threw a shower for the bride to be. Half of the list didn’t bother to RSVP. No one in the bridal party knew who these people were, and the bride had just gotten us a list of mailing addresses, so we had no way the follow up by text or email. Well after the fact, a couple of us figured out that the bride had really overextended and invited folks that she was just no longer even talking to you. But still a simple ‘no thank youl” would’ve been nice.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ridiculous and puts you in a bind. Now you've got to call them.
    K

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So, first I’m pretty good about RSVP’ing. I think I fudged one kid party and didn’t get back before the date because I hadn’t figured it out in time. I did contact the family and they graciously said there was still room!

I do get it though. Here’s how it goes down at my house. We pretty much try attend almost everything we’ve invited to—I don’t know if that’s typical or not. We have 6 people in our family so EVERYTHING needs coordinating. I might need DH to do transportation and I have to wait to hear back from him. Or I need my parents to watch one or more of my kids or I’m waiting for the weekly practice schedule that I haven’t received yet. So I do understand why at least a portion of people push it to the last minute!

I do suspect that other people are just less conscientious. That I don’t understand, because having hosted parties I do find that very obnoxious! But it occurred to me the other day that responding to an RSVP sometimes ISNT so simple. So I thought I’d mention that.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I feel your pain. It happens every birthday party I plan.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I’m so sorry. It definitely bites for a birthday parties, but I can understand it a little bit more.Your kid brings them home and it could be an invite for some random kid who you don’t know, you forget about it, etc. It’s still annoying. But I think it’s worse for bridal showers and baby showers. First of all, adults are being invited. And typically, if you’re invited to a shower, you usually have somewhat of a good or close relationship to the guest of honor.

Several years back, I was in a bridal party and we threw a shower for the bride to be. Half of the list didn’t bother to RSVP. No one in the bridal party knew who these people were, and the bride had just gotten us a list of mailing addresses, so we had no way the follow up by text or email. Well after the fact, a couple of us figured out that the bride had really overextended and invited folks that she was just no longer even talking to you. But still a simple ‘no thank youl” would’ve been nice.
    exactly this!! i honestly don't mind for kids birthday parties bc that is totally different. my kid often leaves invites in bottom of his backpack stashed away (so i find it rather late) and or neglects to tell me about it. then i remember but then i'm at work with a busy day and the invite with rsvp info is at home. i have to check my calendar and DH's calendar too (to make sure he can stay with the other sibling not going to the party, unless they are both invited). i just hosted a bday party for my ds at a venue and usually i just relied on DS verbally telling me which of his friends could come. i did get rsvp's like 3-4 days before which wasn't too bad. in my case i had no way to call or text the parents.

i think it's totally different for a baby shower or bridal shower IMO. presumably these are people you know well , are good friends with or are family, and it's a huge life milestone event so yeah, it makes sense that people need to be considerate re: RSVPing.

some people are just really bad about RSVP'ing. though the worst thing is people who tend to overextend/overcommit and flake out at the end (e.g. they will say they're coming, but then in the end say they're just too busy with x,y, z going on). that is my pet peeve IMO! i get that with kids life is unpredicatable but what gets me is certain people have a horrible habit of doing this (and a lot of them don't even have kids! lol). i woudl rather people just not rsvp in that case.

This is such a sore spot with me. I am a planner, and I want to plan for the attendees. Just say yes or no. I have been tempted at times to give anRSVP date and say if I do not hear from you by this date, you will not be able to attend. But, I am sure I would be looked at as rude, whereas the person who did not RSVP would not.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast