Default Driving from Boston to Exton/St David’s PA and back any tips, recommendations

In a few weekends dd and I are driving to Exton PA from the Boston area for a soccer tournament. We are staying in Exton and will drive down on a Friday but the team will play in St. David’s so we will drive home from there on Sunday. First off any tips on timing our drive. It appears to be about a 5 hr drive so ideally we will leave around noon or early afternoon on Friday. Sunday I am not sure when we will be able to leave but it appears the latest would be about 3. Secondly any restaurant recommendations. We will likely have a dinner or two along with lunch one day in the area. This board has been really helpful when we travel. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Leave as early as you can. The traffic will get worse on a Friday especially on 202 or 476, whichever way gps tells you to go. Exton and St Davids aren’t so close. Wayne is a great town near St David’s with lots of restaurants. Christopher’s is very family friendly. I like Goats Beard. In St David’s there are a couple “fast food” places. One is called Honeygrow. There is an upscale pizza place in the same center called Pietro’s. Closer to exton is a very yummy Chinese restaurant called Han Dynasty. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We live northeast of Hartford and drive to visit family in Bucks County frequently. I just google mapped the drive to Exton and it suggests taking the GW bridge. I suspect that’s because it’s late at night and traffic is good. We NEVER take the GW and I can’t imagine you’d want to either on a Friday afternoon. I would plan on either the Merritt Parkway to 287 over the Tappan Zee Bridge or 84 to 684 to 287 and the Tappen Zee.

Secondly, Google Maps has you take 95 through NJ to 276 around Philadelphia. That 276 around Philly might be awful on a Friday evening. I would watch the maps for traffic and see if it offers alternatives. Sunday should be less of a problem. Just map it and see what google maps suggests at that time (or Waze if you prefer). We always check the maps and almost always end up choosing between 684 or the Merritt Parkway. Rarely, we take 87 to the Newburgh Bridge if the other 2 routes look bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    We live northeast of Hartford and drive to visit family in Bucks County frequently. I just google mapped the drive to Exton and it suggests taking the GW bridge. I suspect that’s because it’s late at night and traffic is good. We NEVER take the GW and I can’t imagine you’d want to either on a Friday afternoon. I would plan on either the Merritt Parkway to 287 over the Tappan Zee Bridge or 84 to 684 to 287 and the Tappen Zee.

Secondly, Google Maps has you take 95 through NJ to 276 around Philadelphia. That 276 around Philly might be awful on a Friday evening. I would watch the maps for traffic and see if it offers alternatives. Sunday should be less of a problem. Just map it and see what google maps suggests at that time (or Waze if you prefer). We always check the maps and almost always end up choosing between 684 or the Merritt Parkway. Rarely, we take 87 to the Newburgh Bridge if the other 2 routes look bad.

276 around Philadelphia is much better than the alternative. You just need to leave MA early enough. It can be painful. I agree with keeping your eye on the Tappen Zee. It can often be better. I love the Merritt. No trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

I agree to avoid the GW bridge like the plague. Not only is it always bogged down in traffic, its expensive!

When we drive to NC (through PA) we leave after dinner. Rarely hit traffic that way. Leaving at 7 would likely get you there around midnight and its 1 less meal on the road. Just throwing out another option..... Otherwise, anything after noon will hit rush hour traffic in NY/NJ or even PA.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!