Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by keh602 View Post
    I'm no expert on packing for Europe, but I can say that we have had two of the 25" suitcases (for which I paid twice as much ) almost two years ago, and we love them. Very roomy, very smooth, and still look like new. We are a family of 5, and we have packed for a week away in just the two--though we are starting to see the need for a third when we need bulky clothes.. Even my 9-year-old can manage one though.
    So, you have 2 of the 25" Travel Pro suitcases i linked to above? If so, I'm glad to hear you like them a lot! I hope they come in some colors other than black. One of the things I loved about the LLBean duffel bags was that they came in bold colors and we could always easily spot them on the conveyer belt. Course, if they are only made in neutral colors, I have no problem putting crazy-colored duct tape all over them to make them more visible.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    So, you have 2 of the 25" Travel Pro suitcases i linked to above? If so, I'm glad to hear you like them a lot! I hope they come in some colors other than black. One of the things I loved about the LLBean duffel bags was that they came in bold colors and we could always easily spot them on the conveyer belt. Course, if they are only made in neutral colors, I have no problem putting crazy-colored duct tape all over them to make them more visible.
    Yes, we have two of the Travelpro. Thank you for posting the link, by the way... I think I'm going to order a 3rd at that price! I think an olive green is the only other color they come in. I, too, was hoping for bright colors. But DH did the research and that's the suitcase he came up with. We use brightly colored luggage tags, but You've inspired me to put some duct tape at least on the bottom.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We travel as a family 3 or 4 times a year and we usually do one suitcase (spinner carryon size) per person. My kids have had their own carryons since they were around 4 or 5 yo and it has worked really well for us. They also each have a backpack they carryon as well with their sweatshirt, snacks, books and ipads. When we went to Europe a few months ago, DH and I took larger hard sided suitcases instead of our smaller carryons. I also do packing cubes for myself and for the kids in case we end up needing to separate things, especially on the way back.
    I think these are the ones we got https://www.ebags.com/product/briggs...uctid=10606936
    Kids have a samsonites.

A coworker of mine has 5 kids and they all went to China last year. He said that they only brought 3 carryons total! He said each kid shares a carryon and then he and his wife share.

The larger ones were a b*tch to carry up and down the 3 flights of stairs of our walkup airbnb flat (and I know this because I had to carry both of them down myself as DH was too sick to do it on the way home!) but we needed something bigger. But besides that it was fine getting them around and we needed the space. And I did not want to take more than one suitcase per person.

We did an international trip a few years ago that sounds somewhat similar to what you are describing with 2-3 nights max in each location over a 2 week period and I think we did a similar packing job as we did this latest time. We were staying in hotels and always had bellhops so the stairs thing was a non-issue. It was much easier having each person with their own suitcase, as we never did a full unpacking job.
    DD
    DS

This has been really helpful! Thanks for all your advice and experiences. I hadn’t even thought of carrying them up stairs but that is certainly a possibility. And I’ve never used packing cubes before because I’ve always unpacked where we have stayed. But that wouldn’t make sense for this trip so I suspect we will be living out of the suitcases. Packing cubes will really help

thanks again!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

If you’re worried about the young ones wheeling their own bags, they make luggage straps you can use to hang bags off one another. Here’s one, but there are lots of kinds available:

Two Add a Bag Luggage Strap Travel Luggage Suitcase Adjustable belt Travel Accessories Travel Attachment - Connect your three luggages together https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CEHUZMO..._ghcCCbS4SVT8E

Our luggage set has these straps sewn into the bags, and we’ve used them often. I have a picture from when the kids were very little of DH wheeling 5 bags at a time using these: three suitcases, all our carryons, and a car seat in an enormous car seat backpack on his back! He looked like a Sherpa! In any case, you could strap the younger kids’ bags to yours or the older kids’ ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Another option is to get one more carry-on size travel backpack (lots of great options out there - see links below ) so you and your husband's (or one of your older kids) hands will be free, so if necessary, someone can roll one/both of the 11 yo's bags. I am a single mom of two. Last year in China, I wore my backpack and at times (like when we were in a super crowded metro station, in a rush, up stairs, etc) rolled/carried my then 8 y.o.'s carry-on for her. My older daughter (13 year old at the time) rolled her own.

My biggest rec is to pack very light. We're doing 3 weeks this summer (Denmark, Poland, Germany and Italy) and will each travel with carry-on only.

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/...uctid=10492749

https://www.ebags.com/product/osprey...uctid=10602614

https://www.ebags.com/product/eagle-...uctid=10651367

https://www.ebags.com/product/deuter...uctid=10569899

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    We travel as a family 3 or 4 times a year and we usually do one suitcase (spinner carryon size) per person. My kids have had their own carryons since they were around 4 or 5 yo and it has worked really well for us. They also each have a backpack they carryon as well with their sweatshirt, snacks, books and ipads. When we went to Europe a few months ago, DH and I took larger hard sided suitcases instead of our smaller carryons. I also do packing cubes for myself and for the kids in case we end up needing to separate things, especially on the way back.
    I think these are the ones we got https://www.ebags.com/product/briggs...uctid=10606936
    Kids have a samsonites.

A coworker of mine has 5 kids and they all went to China last year. He said that they only brought 3 carryons total! He said each kid shares a carryon and then he and his wife share.

The larger ones were a b*tch to carry up and down the 3 flights of stairs of our walkup airbnb flat (and I know this because I had to carry both of them down myself as DH was too sick to do it on the way home!) but we needed something bigger. But besides that it was fine getting them around and we needed the space. And I did not want to take more than one suitcase per person.

We did an international trip a few years ago that sounds somewhat similar to what you are describing with 2-3 nights max in each location over a 2 week period and I think we did a similar packing job as we did this latest time. We were staying in hotels and always had bellhops so the stairs thing was a non-issue. It was much easier having each person with their own suitcase, as we never did a full unpacking job.
    This is what we do. We have 5 kids and we have traveled to Europe a few times and Africa.

Either we do roller carryons 3 youngest go in one, 2 olders get half, and then dh and I share. No other luggage at all.

The time before we did each person had a small school sized backpack except the youngest which was in mine. The younger kids had their backpacks maybe 1/2 filled. That worked fine too. We travel for a month or so and it works so nicely.

It was so hard when we were managing 7 bags and 7 suitcases. So much stuff to lug everywhere. Try to fit in. When someone was tired it just meant more stuff for dh and I to handle.
    Now with only 3 suitcases lots of us don't have to lug anything. We can take turns lugging the stuff. It works amazing.

Packing cubes are amazing.
    When we first starting traveling we were luggage heavy. Everyone had their own roller suitcase and a backpack. That is just way to much stuff to bring and to lug the whole time.

We travel light now. We don't bring electronics for the kids. They only bring a camera.
    We do laundry on the trip. So we only need a few changes in clothes.
    We normally buy shampoo and things there.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalmom View Post
    This is what we do. We have 5 kids and we have traveled to Europe a few times and Africa.

Either we do roller carryons 3 youngest go in one, 2 olders get half, and then dh and I share. No other luggage at all.

The time before we did each person had a small school sized backpack except the youngest which was in mine. The younger kids had their backpacks maybe 1/2 filled. That worked fine too. We travel for a month or so and it works so nicely.

It was so hard when we were managing 7 bags and 7 suitcases. So much stuff to lug everywhere. Try to fit in. When someone was tired it just meant more stuff for dh and I to handle.
    Now with only 3 suitcases lots of us don't have to lug anything. We can take turns lugging the stuff. It works amazing.

Packing cubes are amazing.
    When we first starting traveling we were luggage heavy. Everyone had their own roller suitcase and a backpack. That is just way to much stuff to bring and to lug the whole time.

We travel light now. We don't bring electronics for the kids. They only bring a camera.
    We do laundry on the trip. So we only need a few changes in clothes.
    We normally buy shampoo and things there.
    Shoes take up the most room. But I usually need to take 2 pairs per person- a pair of comfy sneakers or trainers for walking and flip flops or fisherman sandals in case we go to a beach or as a backup pair if the sneakers are causing blisters or get wet if we are rained on, etc. How do you handle shoes? And I always bring some back up snacks in case grocery stores are closed when we arrive (the first time this happened was NOT GOOD). Jet lag and hunger can equal disaster. I also bring a phamacy with me because I’ve found through bad experiences that not everything we need can easily be replaced (glasses, certain medications, etc.). All that takes up room. How do you find room for that?

If i eliminate the water toys, beach clothes and scooters, I can cut it down to 4 dufflebags and I think I can reduce it further with some creative wardrobe planning (convertible pants for all the boys, a couple of maxi skirts for me and Dd to rewear several times, limiting to 2 hoodies per kid but I bring packable rain jackets and last summer in Normandy we actually used the packable down jackets. That all requires room. Not to mention that last summer the twins were small enough to still need inflatable booster seats for the rental car. I just can’t imagine trying to limit all that to 3 carryons! How do you do it?

This makes a lot of sense. If we did carryon- size luggage exclusively, we would absolutely need 6 carryons. I don’t know if there will be paved walkways- it’s definitely possible since some of the pilgrimage sites will be small villages. However, I’m thinking that it couldn’t be too difficult since a lot of seniors go on these trips. Besides, if I did get backpacks for everyone, then they can’t bring their personal backpack (the one filled with snacks, headphones, and iPads).

Do you think your Travel Pro carryons are small enough for 11yo’s to maneuver? I’m thinking escalators might be tricky. Maybe something smaller?
    My kids have full sized Travel Pro suitcases and have been maneuvering themselves since around the age of 8, it’s much easier to deal with than a duffel bag. You should be more than ok with carry on size.

Shoes take up the most room. But I usually need to take 2 pairs per person- a pair of comfy sneakers or trainers for walking and flip flops or fisherman sandals in case we go to a beach or as a backup pair if the sneakers are causing blisters or get wet if we are rained on, etc. How do you handle shoes? And I always bring some back up snacks in case grocery stores are closed when we arrive (the first time this happened was NOT GOOD). Jet lag and hunger can equal disaster. I also bring a phamacy with me because I’ve found through bad experiences that not everything we need can easily be replaced (glasses, certain medications, etc.). All that takes up room. How do you find room for that?

If i eliminate the water toys, beach clothes and scooters, I can cut it down to 4 dufflebags and I think I can reduce it further with some creative wardrobe planning (convertible pants for all the boys, a couple of maxi skirts for me and Dd to rewear several times, limiting to 2 hoodies per kid but I bring packable rain jackets and last summer in Normandy we actually used the packable down jackets. That all requires room. Not to mention that last summer the twins were small enough to still need inflatable booster seats for the rental car. I just can’t imagine trying to limit all that to 3 carryons! How do you do it?

Normally we don't bring extra shoes. The times we have, we didn't need them. But in my side of the roller suitcase I can pack an extra pair or two for myself. Flip flops are even better.
    But we all have room for an extra pair, but normally we don't bring any. We only have the pair of shoes we have on and they are worn before so we know they don't give us blisters.

Food we sometimes bring something, but not always. It hasn't really been an issue for us. We have a Priority Pass membership so we have lots of lounge access at the airports with free food. We always have extra food from all the snacks they serve on the plane. Tons of the AirBnbs we have stayed in have had welcome baskets. But it is easy to get food when we arrive. Usually we get to the location in the evening, grab a meal and go do to bed.

We have never brought water toys or scooters. Again a lot of the hotels or Airbnbs we have stayed at have that for us. Or we pick up something cheap. It is a lot easier than lugging it.

We haven't ever rented a car overseas so no car seats. Mostly because I didn't want to have to lug that. But there is so much public transport.
    But this is really small
    https://www.amazon.com/mifold-Grab-B...422057669&th=1

We have brought small lightweight down jackets and hoodies, as one time we were there in spring. We get small down jackets that fold easily.
    We get out all the clothes we think we need and then cut it down even more. Sometimes we buy things there instead of lugging it. Like I know when we go to Italy they are going to pick up a coat.

We stay in places that you can do laundry. If you do this you can not bring that much at all. But even if you don't. You can do laundry in the sink or bathtub and hang dry. You can wear your clothes more than once.
    We wear clothes more than once.
    We don't bring pjs. They sleep in underwear or the shirt they are going to wear the next day.

I get you on the pharmacy. We don't take any meds or wear glasses. But I think it is a very good idea to bring things. We have gotten sick overseas and when we are on our own it is hard to find meds to help out that are what we are used to. Or to get the person to understand what we need.
    I do bring over the counter meds with us. They go in my side of the suitcase.

I think every family is different on what they need. But I would suggest that you go as light as you can for your family and your location. We have always been happier with less and never wished we had something. So maybe you can't get to 3 carryons, but you can get lighter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast