gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Now that Gymboree and Janie and Jack are gone- where to buy nice clothes?

This was going to become a problem once Dd became a teen but at least Gymboree carries sizes up to 14. Dd is almost 12yo and I s tiny and dresses conservatively. She won’t wear anything that shows her shoulders or stomach. She won’t wear leggings even under a dress. She wears tights with flats. She loves maxi and midi skirts with a cardigan. She knows her own mind and would dress like a 50’s housewife (complete with twin sets and an apron) every day if she could find the right clothes. Gymboree and Janie and Jack were my go-tos but they will be gone soon. My boys will switch over to Lands End for their clothes but dd finds the Lands end stuff kind of boring and childish. The closest I’ve found for dd heading into her teen years is Boden kids but they don’t have a lot. Crewcuts have some stuff but again, not a ton.

She would love Loft and AnnTaylor probably one day but she’s way too tiny now. She still wears sizes 7/8 in some Target pants. Any suggestions for pretty, conservative clothes for girls?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We’ve found cardigans and cute dresses at Tommy Hilfiger. I would never have thought to go there for kids, but we found it by accident. We do the outlet.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Hanna Andersson? I have boys, but my oldest son dresses conservatively compared to his peers, and I still find clothes there for him on occasion. Of course, I have to be careful that they're not too babyish.

I also recently discovered that Tea Collection now has larger sizes. I believe certain styles go up to size 16. Again, some of the clothes are too young for DS1, but they do have lines that are geared towards older kids and look nice and conservative.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Nordstrom and J. Crew (Crewcuts). Sometimes Gap. I love Tea Collection, but I do feel a lot of their clothes are too young now.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Gymboree and Crazy8 are going, but I thought the company was going to focus their energy on Janie & Jack?

We don't really do a lot of dressy stuff, but I still like Boden and occasionally Macy's is fine.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Gymboree and Crazy8 are going, but I thought the company was going to focus their energy on Janie & Jack?

We don't really do a lot of dressy stuff, but I still like Boden and occasionally Macy's is fine.
    The company is trying to find a buyer for Janie and Jack as it’s the only store that is actually profitable for them. But if they can’t find a buyer, it will go away too. So sad.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about French Laundry (I think that’s what it’s called). They sell separates for school uniform items, such as polo shirts and cardigans and some skorts. Some Costcos carry them at back-to-school season. Maybe they have a website??
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Now that Gymboree and Janie and Jack are gone- where to buy nice clothes?

Ralph Lauren
    Lily Pulitzer (I believe they have a kids line)
    Vineyard Vines
    Tommy Hilfiger
    J Crew Crew Cuts
    Boden (they have a tween line called Johnny B)
    Brooks Brothers (looks very Janie & Jack less all of the coordinating items)
    Hanna Andersson (although she might think it is childish....my almost 13 year old still loves their unders)
    Old Navy & Gap (not super preppy but still nice and can be conservative for the tween age....you just have to look around)

FWIW: my kids stopped wearing Jamie and Jack at about 8 for my older one and 6 for my younger one. I found that I didn’t love it as much as I did when they were younger and I was still able to dress them conservatively....you might be surprised what you can find at Old Navy, maybe not super fancy silk dresses but Dd1 has found a lot of church dresses there that she can wear with a cardigan or jean jacket (not sure if your church allows denim). Dd2 wore a lot of Dd1’s had me downs from Gymboree until she was just shy of 8. Now Dd2 wears a lot of clothes from Target, and Old Navy because they have adjustable waists, which she needs (and Dd1 needed until she was able to fit into a 00 short jean).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-27-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just saw that Janie and Jack is likely to be bought by Gap. Not sure how that will affect them, but they were my go to for dress clothes when my boys were small. (My 8 year old is big for his age and already in a size 12, so we were basically out of there anyway...but I used it for gifts and I'm still sad ).

I used this for my boys when they were young...some of the older girl stuff might work (but they seriously have adorable little kid outfits!!!)
    https://www.next.us/en/shop/gender-oldergirls-0#1_0

Vineyard Vines is super popular with girls and boys here. Lily Pulitzer is very popular with girl moms (not really my style, but cute anyway).

Gap, JCrew, and Abercrombie kids also seem to be able to bridge the gap for smaller older kids (like my middle son...he's going into MS next year and is still in kids sizes whereas my oldest was in mens by then).

Try Nordstrom too, they have some variety. (and probably any department store local to you).

Tea has a tween line for girls, but I'm not up on what girls that age think is too young (my 11 year old would still fit in the boys stuff, but it's too young for him IMO) https://www.teacollection.com/tween-...s/new-arrivals
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)