Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Also consider your lifestyle, if you aren't going to be doing a long walk outside, walking a dog/kids to school etc you won't need something super heavy duty and a parka can be overkill if you're just running from car to store etc (and I personally hate driving with a big coat, especially one with a hood). A waist length North Face style one is perfect for most midwest days here. When I'm up in Chicago I see these fancy hockey mom's wearing their 800 dollar Canada Goose parka in the hockey rink (most of the rinks are not cold at all, a lightweight jacket is fine). I have to laugh at comment above about the college student wearing Canada Goose jackets, I mean who can afford that when you're in college (although many are probably knockoff ones).
    The *median* household income of undergrads is 150K. At a large state university. We joke that when driving through campus you could run over a flock of geese. They are everywhere and I really don't think they're knockoffs. 9% of undergrads come from the top 1% (more than $600K)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    The *median* household income of undergrads is 150K. At a large state university. We joke that when driving through campus you could run over a flock of geese. They are everywhere and I really don't think they're knockoffs. 9% of undergrads come from the top 1% (more than $600K)
    I don’t have any current info, but the large state university where I spent my career sounds similar. No need for pricy parkas here, but the contrast between the student parking lots and faculty parking lots is striking!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

When I was in Chicago this winter, without a doubt the black mid thigh or knee length down coat was the most popular. I felt out of place with my gray down coat. I have a few winter coats based on temp and outfit. I doubt one will get you through the range of temps- you don’t need the same coat at 40 degrees as you do 10 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't need a "real winter" coat since I'm in CA, but I'm curious: what do people wear for dressier occasions--still a down coat? I always thought of those as very casual weekend wear, not something I'd wear to the office or dressy occasion. Do wool coats not keep you warm enough? I remember buying a nice long wool coat from Ross on the clearance rack when I was a student and a friend from MN laughed at me when I wore it to class. She said, "You don't need a coat like that here in CA! That's a MN winter coat!" It was probably in the low 40s/high 30s, for reference.

P.S. I've never heard of Canada Goose but wow, $800 for a coat?!?!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Depends on how cold it is and how much time I'll spend outside. Door to door, just a wool coat is fine. I will sacrifice fashion if I have a long way to walk outside. There are a lot of variations of down coats. I think the short ones are casual but longer ones are more versatile.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Depends on how cold it is and how much time I'll spend outside. Door to door, just a wool coat is fine. I will sacrifice fashion if I have a long way to walk outside. There are a lot of variations of down coats. I think the short ones are casual but longer ones are more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yes, most moms here have long down coats and those can be paired with dressy clothes if necessary. When it’s -30 windchill, most people are not wearing a knee length wool dress coat, even if they are just going door to door. When it’s 30 (above zero), yes you can wear a lighter coat and just suck it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Parkas seems to have replaced puffer coats here in popularity. Most stores seem to have a version.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I’m in CA and I have the jacket puffer I mostly wear. I do have a longer wool coat for dressier occasions. I had one like you for decades and just replaced it with one this last winter to be more in style. I also have a knee length puffer coat for when we visit family in MI and CO. I got the puffer coat for $50 at Costco years ago when I visited MIL one winter.

I’d replace your wool coat with a newer one so it’s more in style and don’t worry about a heavyweight coat like a down jacket until you move to somewhere cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2