lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Tell Me About Phoenix, AZ in APRIL

We've booked spring break out to the ILs (various factors prevented us from traveling at the holidays, including the ILs' master bathroom reno that overstayed its estimated timeline and my broken ankle) and are now evaluating clothes & sun protection.

What do I need to know as far as average temperature, activities we can do (outdoor stuff is fine with plenty of shade & water), and how to plan around Easter?

Also, are schools out yet? (This may impact the kinds of things we do with/for DD, for example.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well I'm a Phoenix native and still live in the burbs.

Weather varies depending on the time of the month, early April is high 80s and late April is low 90s. So shorts, sunscreen and plenty of water. Spring break here is in March cause school is done the third week of May.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post

Weather varies depending on the time of the month, early April is high 80s and late April is low 90s. So shorts, sunscreen and plenty of water. Spring break here is in March cause school is done the third week of May.
    Thank you!

We'll be in the "Way East" Valley and heading out around Easter, which is when DD's spring break is because we're in NJ.

Also, are any grasses blooming at that time? I have serious grass pollen allergies, and if so, I'll have to ask my MIL to pick up nasal saline for me to help keep them at bay. I don't expect trees to be blooming, but I never know with the Sonoran Desert. (The last time we were in Phoenix in October, for example, something was blooming/blowing and I was positively miserable that trip, so I am especially uptight about it.)

ETA: As far as planning around Easter, do places tend to close earlier during Holy Week (i.e. - Maundy Thursday/Good Friday/Holy Saturday) or does it vary?
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Thank you!

We'll be in the "Way East" Valley and heading out around Easter, which is when DD's spring break is because we're in NJ.

Also, are any grasses blooming at that time? I have serious grass pollen allergies, and if so, I'll have to ask my MIL to pick up nasal saline for me to help keep them at bay. I don't expect trees to be blooming, but I never know with the Sonoran Desert. (The last time we were in Phoenix in October, for example, something was blooming/blowing and I was positively miserable that trip, so I am especially uptight about it.)

ETA: As far as planning around Easter, do places tend to close earlier during Holy Week (i.e. - Maundy Thursday/Good Friday/Holy Saturday) or does it vary?
    Big yes on the blooming crap. Depends on the area of town as to the Easter festivities. East Mesa and Gilbert tend to be more conversation and will probably be closed earlier, etc for Easter. Most schools are closed for Good Friday. Tempe and Chandler will likely be business as usual. I'm not sure if you will still be here during Ren faire but that's tons of fun.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    Big yes on the blooming crap. Depends on the area of town as to the Easter festivities. East Mesa and Gilbert tend to be more conversation and will probably be closed earlier, etc for Easter. Most schools are closed for Good Friday. Tempe and Chandler will likely be business as usual. I'm not sure if you will still be here during Ren faire but that's tons of fun.
    We'll miss the AZ RenFest by a couple weeks, which is a bummer because DD and I absolutely adore the one in Tuxedo, NY.

By "Way East" Valley, I mean like way out ... Gold Canyon.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Assume something irritating will be blooming and prepare accordingly. Pollens and grasses have gotten much worse over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zansu View Post
    Assume something irritating will be blooming and prepare accordingly. Pollens and grasses have gotten much worse over the past few years.
    yes, I would bring your own supplies as if you're dealing with pollen/grass flareups in NJ. It isn't fun suffering from them when you're out of town and your MIL is out of said OTC supplies. I'm not far from you and I could swear Fall of 2018 and so far in 2019 in the dead of winter, my grass/dust/dander allergies have been really bad for me that it's unbelievable sometimes. so I would just prepare and plan accordingly as if you're in middle of it.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by Zansu View Post
    Thank you. We are usually there in December, so don't have to deal but OMG that one October trip (I think it was ~2005 or so) was absolute Hades on earth!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    yes, I would bring your own supplies as if you're dealing with pollen/grass flareups in NJ. It isn't fun suffering from them when you're out of town and your MIL is out of said OTC supplies. I'm not far from you and I could swear Fall of 2018 and so far in 2019 in the dead of winter, my grass/dust/dander allergies have been really bad for me that it's unbelievable sometimes. so I would just prepare and plan accordingly as if you're in middle of it.
    We are sending a box of stuff ahead via Amazon (have ILs' AZ address in account) but looking at things that will be cheaper to get in regular drugstore (i.e. - spray nasal saline, etc.) to add to my list for MIL because we arrive on the Tuesday after Palm Sunday, so will be in a time crunch to get other stuff, but would prefer to have basics like that on-hand.

And the past couple of years have been RIDICULOUS for allergies! DH doesn't usually suffer and HE got them! (I have suffered since childhood.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)