Default Yoga Teacher training for fun?

Has anyone pursued yoga teacher training just to deepen their practice? Or to gain a side income leading classes? I’m looking at a 200-hour RYT course offered by my local studio and am looking for feedback on anything I should consider.. thanks!

Probably shouldn’t have said for fun in the title, but for the enjoyment of their practice is what I intended.
    DS 2014

My SIL did this. She has a full time job and her husband makes good money but she teaches yoga at the studio where she did her training, 2 or 3 classes a week. I honestly have no idea how the financials work out (e.g., I'm sure the training was expensive and I don't know what she makes at the studio and when she will "break even") but she does enjoy being involved in the studio in that way. I think she enjoyed the very intensive course as well. I would consider what the potential to teach after doing the certification is (I know there were a lot of people who SIL did the course with and I can't imagine they can all get absorbed by surrounding studios) and whether you will feel more fulfilled as an instructor or more enjoy taking classes and learning in that way. That's more my perspective as someone who is largely outside yoga but it's definitely something I would consider before doing a teacher training course.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know several people who did teacher training just for their own benefit. A couple of them ended up teaching a little bit, but none of them was looking to make it a lucrative thing - just something they love that they wanted to get better at. I've thought about it too - someday when I'm not as constrained by my kids' needs. I have no desire to teach, but I'd like to deepen my practice and know more about the body mechanics and theory. I wonder if workshops vs. a true teacher training program are a better way to go if you aren't looking to be certified to teach. I have another friend who seeks out and takes weekend long or several weeks long workshops that focus on different aspects of yoga or different types and she feels like that is enough for just personal exploration and enjoyment. She didn't want to have to do all the written work and mock teach classes like you do in teacher training. I don't have any friends who have done it that regret finishing the training program though- even though they don't teach much or at all - one is even going back to an advanced training and she has never taught for pay anywhere since she did the basic training five or so years ago. This time she's headed to Costa Rica for a five-week intensive. Just because she loves it.