Thread: Mobile hotspots

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Mobile hotspots

We currently have hughes satellite service in our second home and it’s terrible. I’m wondering whether a mobile hotspot would be faster, cheaper and more reliable. We currently pay $83 per month for Hughes and it’s constantly down. We get good coverage with Verizon at our remote cabin. Anyone have any experience with Verizon mobile hotspots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know if there are different levels of hotspots. DH has a Verizon one that works pretty well for regular day-to-day use, but isn't as good if we're trying to stream video. (We use it at church to live stream the service, and it cuts in & out sometimes.)
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    We currently have hughes satellite service in our second home and it’s terrible. I’m wondering whether a mobile hotspot would be faster, cheaper and more reliable. We currently pay $83 per month for Hughes and it’s constantly down. We get good coverage with Verizon at our remote cabin. Anyone have any experience with Verizon mobile hotspots?

You might be able to test it first by using your phone as a hotspot, if that is allowed on your plan.

But, if you have good Verizon coverage then a hotspot should be good as well.

Like PP said, streaming might not be great, but general internet should be as good as you get on your phone. Are you able to stream on phones, surf the web on phones?

I don’t need it for streaming. I just need to have reliable service for my nest thermostat and WiFi cameras.

DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    I don’t need it for streaming. I just need to have reliable service for my nest thermostat and WiFi cameras.

Ah. I would think it'd be totally fine then. You want it for when you aren't there?

I'd test that it reboots itself if you have a power surge, etc. But you'd have that issue with any modem.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

LOVE verizon hotspot. One of my frequent travel partners has one and once on a road trip through the midwest, worked from the passenger seat the whole way. I work in IT on a laptop with my phone as software on my laptop on a large network system. 2 days, middle of nowhere hills and plains doing 70+ miles an hour with zero problems with my service or connection. I'm constantly amazed by the service. I have to have at least 25 mbs download speed to stay connected to my work network and have never had a problem.

As pp post said, i probably wouldn't use it for the number of things we have connected at home, but for me and at least one other person to work/do homework/search the internet, it's been great. Looks like you have the streaming problem figured out. Can you do a trial plan? Or what's the refund/contract options? I'd probably go with the shortest/lowest risk option first to test the waters.

Kind of related, when we were in Iceland, we rented a mobile hotspot for our internet access. We didn’t use our phones, but we had internet access all the time (I’d carry the hotspot in my backpack when we went hiking). Most of the time we had service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry—- misunderstood post.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 08-29-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Default Mobile hotspots

Thank you all. I will try the hotspot and dump hughes satellite.

DS1 2006
    DS2 2009