Thread: Ugh... feel bad

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Ugh... feel bad

DS may miss the half-day orientation to high school. It’s the school we’re zoned for and our last choice. We’re hoping he gets into nearby magnet or other high school in town. We won’t know which school for a few more months, he may do summer school so can do an AP class, he won’t know that for a few months. I had to book trip to my parents as amazing deal and booked around summer school dates. I book it, then remember the high school hadn’t put up their calendar date for orientation ... and it’s 3 days before we get back.

Crappity crap. DH thinks it’s not a big deal to miss, DS has lots of friends, will figure things out. We can go get his schedule before school starts and he can check out the campus.

Is it a big deal to miss out? I can’t change our dates as it’s international flights and will cut into time with my parents. We only see them for 2 weeks once a year.

Fingers crossed he gets into the magnet high school, then it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 03-05-2019 at 04:46 AM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    DS may miss the half-day orientation to high school. It’s the school we’re zoned for and our last choice. We’re hoping he gets into nearby magnet or other high school in town. We won’t know which school for a few more months, he may do summer school so can do an AP class, he won’t know that for a few months. I had to book trip to my parents as amazing deal and booked around summer school dates. I book it, then remember the high school hadn’t put up their calendar date for orientation ... and it’s 3 days before we get back.

Crappity crap. DH thinks it’s not a big deal to miss, DS has lots of friends, will figure things out. We can go get his schedule before school starts and he can check out the campus.

Is it a big deal to miss out? I can’t change our dates as it’s international flights and will cut into time with my parents. We only see them for 2 weeks once a year.

Fingers crossed he gets into the magnet high school, then it’s fine.

DS missed his orientation this past year! We HAD gotten into a magnet school and we planned accordingly and then ended up switching schools and our vacay conflicted with orientation. I was worried because this new school is huge and I’m a planner and DS is unorganized (said euphemistically). It ended up being ok! We were allowed to come in before school started and find his locker and walk the campus so he wasn’t too lost his first day. He’s been totally fine!

But here’s hoping he gets the school he wants anyway so it won’t be an issue!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you arrange something one on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DS attended an orientation for transfer students a week before the start of school last year. Maybe you could call the high school and ask if that could be an option for your DS if necessary?

If he does miss it, I can take him in to get his schedule, walk around campus etc. I doubt they’ll do something 1:1, we never seem to have things like that or shadow days. Too many students and not enough staff in public schools here.

I hate missing things like this, so don’t want DS to miss but it’s only time we can get back to see family and still have option of him doing health class in summer school so he can do the AP class he wants to do.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    If he does miss it, I can take him in to get his schedule, walk around campus etc. I doubt they’ll do something 1:1, we never seem to have things like that or shadow days. Too many students and not enough staff in public schools here.

I hate missing things like this, so don’t want DS to miss but it’s only time we can get back to see family and still have option of him doing health class in summer school so he can do the AP class he wants to do.

1. does he have to take health this upcoming year? It's just a graduation requirement at our hs so ds1 is taking it later.
    2. You never know about one on one. All it took at our school was the guidance counselor to pair a kid up. There was nothing more than my kid literally shadowing the other kid all day (and ds1 had someone shadow him the next year). It took so little staff effort that you probably could pitch it to do before the end of this school year.

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids are younger but we always miss the orientation day for elementary school. We are out of the country with my in laws. Most of the kids knew where things were the first year and DD1 had no idea. It made no difference.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kids miss orientation all of the time. You're overthinking it - the school knows how to handle it. It will be totally fine.

We literally pulled into town from travel 8 hours before DS1 started a new school this year. No orientation, no schedule, nothing but a suntan and a backpack with supplies. I gave the principal a heads up, he said it was totally fine, and DS rocked it. Seriously. It's fine. Enjoy the trip.
    Last edited by ahisma; 03-05-2019 at 03:32 PM.

So I mentioned it to DS, if you go to this school you’ll miss the morning orientation as we’ll be with the grandparents. DS’s response, “So what? It’s no big deal”. He is so not my kid!

It is no big deal. I wouldn’t stress. We’ve missed orientations and the kids are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk