Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Talk to me about Paris

DH is thinking we should take the girls to Paris. They are both taking French and seem excited to go (so they can ask where the library is ).

I contacted a travel agent but do I really need one? I mean I guess I'm just booking hotel/Air BnB and flights so...

Anyone have a general itinerary to share? I haven't been in like 18 years! Also hotel or Air Bnb recs?

Oh and we'd go in like 5 weeks, because we do not plan travel early.

Thanks for any insight!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Go for it! No travel agent needed. I've stayed at both hotels and VRBOs, but for short trips, I prefer hotels. On my most recent trip, I stayed in the 10th Arr., and really enjoyed how it was less touristy (Le Robinet D'or) and convenient to the train station (Gare du Nord, as I came in from Germany). But I've also stayed a bit more central in the Marais and Latin Quarter. I love walking around town, enjoying the parks and museums (lots of fun playgrounds as well), and eating (I can live off parisian baguettes and their BUTTER!!!).

We had planned to go in May but decided not to due to the Yellow Vest protests and the disruptions they’ve been causing with the closing and boarding up of monuments and the enormous police presence. We weren’t so much worried about danger to us but rather about not being able to go to significant tourist sites due to unscheduled closures and not being able to see the city at its best. Is that situation no longer an issue, because, if it isn’t, we’d still very much like to go. I’d heard from folks on this board and from friends of friends living outside of Paris but nearby that this definitely wasn’t a good time to visit unless we were okay with lots of police barricades, boarded up monuments, and unexpected closures of the big tourist attractions, but I was asking back at Christmas time. Things might have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    We had planned to go in May but decided not to due to the Yellow Vest protests and the disruptions they’ve been causing with the closing and boarding up of monuments and the enormous police presence. We weren’t so much worried about danger to us but rather about not being able to go to significant tourist sites due to unscheduled closures and not being able to see the city at its best. Is that situation no longer an issue, because, if it isn’t, we’d still very much like to go. I’d heard from folks on this board and from friends of friends living outside of Paris but nearby that this definitely wasn’t a good time to visit unless we were okay with lots of police barricades, boarded up monuments, and unexpected closures of the big tourist attractions, but I was asking back at Christmas time. Things might have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    So the travel agent said no worries about Yellow Jacket protests, and she is actually going in a couple of weeks. I googled a bit and the most recent stuff I could find was from the beginning of February. DH know some people who work in his company's French office, he is going to check in with them.

I haven't heard of this travel site before but this seemed like a common sense approach. https://www.afar.com/magazine/what-t...he-paris-riots And it seems most protests/closures on Saturday, which is the day we are flying in/out so we'd miss it lol.

ETA: DH heard back from his friend who said protests are on Saturdays on Champs Élysées, and are much smaller (approx 4k people) and more peaceful than at the end of last year. He said they are "not in French Revolution 2.0." However now we are looking at the US Dept of State travel advisory (2 out of 4 - be aware) for terrorist activity. But I feel like it's always that way in Paris, kind of like NYC (which we went to at Thanksgiving a few years ago and I was freaking out but it was perfectly fine).
    Last edited by Twoboos; 03-07-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please