abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Fav rain jacket?

So I passed my rain jacket down to dd who just turned 12... how does that happen?? It was a kids XL that I bought on clearance and was never a great fit. So now i need a rain jacket, for running errands and light hiking and kids outside sports. I'm thinking of patagonia or marmot, but I'm open to other brands. probably a women's s or xs. I want something light but actually waterproof. Anyone have a favorite?
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The one I got at Costco is super lightweight. I got it in gray a couple of years ago, but I saw it again this year in black. I think it's $19.99.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    The one I got at Costco is super lightweight. I got it in gray a couple of years ago, but I saw it again this year in black. I think it's $19.99.
    We have one of those and it’s okay. Not as good as my north face rain shell though. (We tested them out in Ketchikan Alaska last summer. DD wore the Costco one and I wore the Northface one, and I stayed drier.)

All the big brands have shells and then jackets that have a slightly thicker lining that the shells. I ended up with the northface shell because it was cheaper than the Patagonia and marmot ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also have a North Face shell that was a gift. No liner, just a shell. It is not as lightweight as the Costco one (brand is 32 Degrees Cool, but with the degree symbol not the word), but more than that, it gets too hot. It is almost TOO waterproof--from the inside out. It traps my sweat (sorry) and then makes me cold because I'm sweaty.

It really depends on the conditions for which it's needed. I wore the 32 Degree one to lots of DD's softball games, and it was perfect. But I've worn it in a true rain only once. It was fine. I didn't have the NF one yet at that time.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    It is almost TOO waterproof--from the inside out. It traps my sweat (sorry) and then makes me cold because I'm sweaty..
    The Northface one should have pit zippers to let you breathe. We walked around Ketchikan when it was pouring and I stayed drier than DD. She was the exact one you are talking about. I think it’s good for drizzle or light rain but not a downpour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Fav rain jacket?

I have a slight addiction to rain jackets. I have lots of trench coats, a fleece lined shell from Costco (Kirkland brand- I love that thing!), a North Face rain jacket (with venting zippers)... I pick the one that matches my outfit and temp outside.
    Eta- forgot that my MIL bought me a cute jacket for Christmas. I haven’t had a chance to wear it yet. It’s the Coach coat from American Giant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 03-09-2019 at 04:40 PM.

I also love Costco, you are not paying for the brand, but for your comfort

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I bought the Costco raincoat last year. I think it was $29.99 so it may not be the same as what someone else posted. It has a hood too. I just wear it to work or out on errands so it hasn’t been really tested but if you don’t like it you can always return it!
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Patagonia torrentshell!

for Sandy Hook