Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So sorry you can not make it to the Carribean this year. This is the best I've ever been to...But I'm sure you will have an awesome vacation.

I do California or New Orleans if it’s just DH and myself for 4 days. We loved SF 14 years ago and did San Diego on our return leg home. I also went back there to visit a girlfriend few years ago. Lots to do either city!

New Orleans is fun place to go. Lots of historical areas, graveyards tours, literary tours and the food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Regarding food in the south...for those who have been to New Orleans is there other food to eat besides sea food? I don’t eat any kind, not allergic, just never liked it. I want to enjoy myself so I don’t want to be worried that there is nothing I’d enjoy if we’d go there. Not much of a Cajun/creole fan either.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by melrose7 View Post
    Regarding food in the south...for those who have been to New Orleans is there other food to eat besides sea food? I don’t eat any kind, not allergic, just never liked it. I want to enjoy myself so I don’t want to be worried that there is nothing I’d enjoy if we’d go there. Not much of a Cajun/creole fan either.
    Yes, there's plenty! We went to New Orleans over Thanksgiving break 3 years ago and I didn't eat any seafood at all. I don't like shellfish of any kind and eat fish at home but not at restaurants. I ate plenty while I was there! My mom is allergic to shellfish and was with us on the trip. She also had no problem finding things to eat.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

melrose7: We went to NOLA just for the food and there's plenty of meat for non-seafood eaters, but it often may be Cajun/Creole style. Toup's Meatery was one of our favorite meals as we love charcuterie (and we love seafood). See the menu. We most enjoyed Cochon (menu), Dante's Kitchen (I see it closed after 18 years--alas!), and Commander's Palace (menu). There was also good fried chicken and biscuit at Willa Jean.

We had the opportunity to try a number of unique dishes not readily available in NorCal:

1) beer-battered crab beignets with a cheesy filling and gumbo (in Death by Gumbo) - Restaurant R'evolution)
    2) turtle soup and the chicory quail - Commander's Palace
    3) Gulf shrimp and grits, Louisiana red fish - Dante's Kitchen
    4) Boudin (with a biscuit) - Willa Jean
    5) Crawfish pie, alligator, and cochon - Cochon
    6) Couvillon and Louisiana crab claws (tiny but so sweet!) - Toup's Meatery
    7) fried green tomatoes (in the Eggs Atchafalaya) - Atchafalaya

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by melrose7 View Post
    I do love red beans and rice but I’m a no on most sea food. I had plenty to eat! No worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Good to know there is other food available. DH will want to eat lots of seafood/Cajun food so I just want us to both to be able to find places to serve us both. Looking at some menus we should be fine. I’m leaning towards New Orleans or Tennessee. I think both would be enjoyable for a 4 day trip. CA is about double the price 🙁

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2